PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Math Work Stations...for 3rd grade

First off I would like to thank whoever nominated my blog as one of your favorites in the Really Good Stuff classroom blog contest. I am thrilled to know that you find my blog useful! I am so very thankful that I found this tremendous community of educational bloggers who continue to inspire me every day.

There are so many great book studies going on right now but I couldn't be a part of them as I am working my way through a rather technical book about standards based grading-which by the way is extremely interesting and changing the way I've thought about grading for some time now! I did order The Book Whisperer and Math Work Stations and I read them in no time flat. I thought I would focus today's post on my reactions to Math Work Stations. I hope you find it useful, especially if you teach in the intermediate grades.

I have been reading Debbie Diller's Math Work Stations book for the past two weeks. I read her Literacy Work Stations book when I moved from first grade to third grade a few years ago and I loved it. I loved the idea of adding to stations rather than switching them out on a weekly basis. One of the key elements that Ms. Diller mentions in both of her books is that teachers must use the materials they put in their stations in class either as part of a mini-lesson or direct instruction prior to placing them in a station. The more we model, the better our students are able to practice with the materials appropriately. This also makes it very easy when you add materials to a station because the kids are already familiar with it and typically need a brief reminder (at least in third grade).

I use the Everyday Mathematics 3 program in my classroom (the 3 stands for the third revision of the curriculum). I have used it for many years and I am very aware of how much time I am going to be able to realistically devote to math stations...so I am making some adaptations to make it work in my own third grade classroom as I dive in this Fall. With all new things that teachers implement into their classrooms, much tweaking and change undoubtedly occurs as the school year progresses so please just take this post as my initial thoughts on how to integrate math stations as a useful new tool for my kiddos.


Storage and tub contents:

Debbie suggests approximately 10 stations, give or take some depending on your class size. I plan to start the year off with six, one for each mathematics strand. I am learning about standards based grading and plan to move towards grading achievement in each strand of math and reporting that out to parents in lieu of a traditional letter grade for an entire test. This makes sense to me as the checking progress tests (end of unit tests given in Everyday Math) test students progress and mastery on skills within these 6 strands. I am in the process of moving from a giant new classroom to a not so giant mobile and so making new tubs fit is going to be a challenge but one that I find necessary. I made these simple labels (grab them below if you use Everyday Math curriculum at any grade level) for each tub. The first unit of math in third grade is a complete review of all second grade skills in each strand, therefore I think I'll be able to add to each station tub quite quickly during the first weeks of math. I have lots of math books that I was worried about finding a home for in my new mobile but Ms. Diller suggests adding them right into the math station tubs...all I will have to do is determine which "math strand box" to place my book in after I read it to my class. Finally, if you are familiar with Everyday Math you may know that the program offers so many outstanding games that are built right into the main lesson. After I teach the games, they can be stored in the appropriate tub for future use. This is a change from how I have previously stored math games (see photo below) which I actually loved as well. Due to space, I've decided to relocate the games to the "math strand tubs" I am creating when appropriate. I'll let ya know how this idea works out. As the year progresses, I will make math talk cards with key vocabulary and "I Can" lists to tape to the inside cover of each tub (suggested by the author).

How I stored my math games last year:



Labels for my "math strand tubs": You may think these are simple labels and you'd be right! I am trying to redo my labels so all fonts match and are clearly visible without super cute clipart. I am going for a cleaner look...also I think due to space and clutter overload in my new smaller space.



Time frame:

I've decided that doing math stations only on Friday is simply not going satisfy me, however I just can't imagine being able to get to them on a daily basis. So I plan to use them on those days when the math lesson is shorter or when the cooperative group work doesn't take as long, or when students are asked to play a math game that I have already taught. If I've done a good job including other activities throughout the units, then I think I'll be able to use them often enough (2-3 times per week). In her book, Debbie provides amazing colorful photos of sample management boards teachers can use to show students what math stations to go to or if they will be meeting with the teacher on a specific day. These type of management boards are fabulous and work wonders with early primary kids but I moved away from them last year during literacy stations to give my big kids some freedom and choice and they loved it! I did create bookmarks to ensure students moved through my literacy stations rather than continuing to go back to the same one day after day. I may need to do something similar or perhaps use some magnets on my wipe board for those students who I want to meet with....still thinking this one through.

I don't have any photos yet of my tubs as I haven't been back to my mobile other than to take a few photos of the space and move some heavy shelves into place. I am very visual though so I will post some pics when I have some available. I would love to hear your thoughts on how you plan to implement math stations in your classrooms this Fall!

15 comments:

Adrienne said...

This was extremely helpful! I am in third grade as well and we use the Math Investigations curriculum in our school. We are required to have 70 min. of math/day but Investigations never takes that long so I plan on having 30-40 min. of investigations and 30-40 min. or work stations a day. Thanks a lot. Check out my giveaway!

awigginsworld@blogspot.com

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks Adrienne, I'll check it out!

Kelley

Denise said...

Thanks Kelly for this information! I teach 3rd grade math using the GO Math series from Florida. I plan on doing Daily 5 Math (my version) for the first time this year and I created Daily 5 Bookmarks--using your bookmarks as an inspiration. I don't have a blog so if you would like a copy, please send me your email. Thanks--I love your blog!

Fran Kramer said...

Kelley,
This was a very interesting post and I think other teachers could benefit from your point of view.
I would love for you to link up with me at kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com
I hope to hear from you1
Fran

Little Priorities said...

I like the idea of each tub being a math strand. I am thinking of having 6-9 tubs. I'm not sure yet. I haven't read the book yet but I enjoy reading all your blogs.

Little Priorities

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks for following everyone. I'm glad this post was useful to you. I had much success with Literacy Work Stations and I'm super excited to integrate Math Work Stations in the Fall. Fran, thanks for the link invite...I linked up. Your post was outstanding! Denise-I'd love a copy of your bookmark. Visit my contact button for my email address if you have time. Thanks for sharing.

Kelley

Ashleigh said...

I'm anxious to see how the math stations go. I'd like to implement something similar, but I can't wrap my head around how I want it organized. I'm sure I'll get some great ideas here.

Anonymous said...

HI there-
Is Debbie Diller's math book appropriate for 2rd grade too? I noticed it says K-2 on its cover.

Mrs. Randall said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question... but yes Debbie Diller's math book is geared towards Kinder, first and second. I've made some adaptations for my third grade classroom. I think you'll find that the concept of math work stations can be applied at any level but in the book, Debbie offers lots of suggestions for materials and games for your K-2 stations. Thanks for following!

Kelley

Anonymous said...

We use the acronym MAGIC for our 3rd grade stations.
M-Measurement activities
A-Algebraic Relationships
G-Geometry
I-Investigating Numbers
C-Concentrating on the Data

Donna

Redhot teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Redhot teacher said...

I was wondering how the math stations are going for you in 3rd grade? I am making the move at the end of this year from 1st to 3rd. I use math tubs/stations with my 1st graders now and would love to learn how to use them effectively in 3rd grade. Any suggestions? I have read Debbie Diller's book as well. Thanks!!

maria said...

Well thank you sooo much for your ideas! This has definitely helped me a lot. I am moving from kindergarten to third grade and was wanting to do math stations but just wasn't sure how to set it up seeing as how I am just now becoming familiar with 3rd grade teks. Thanks a bunch I will continue to check back

Diana said...

This was so helpful!! I am starting Daily 5 this years in my third grade classroom. Its also my second year teaching third, trying to get things moving better this year. Thank you so much! Please stop by and visit anytime!
http://thirdgradeworkerbees.blogspot.com/

Thnanks! Diana

Anonymous said...

I like your ideas for math stations for third grade. I read Debbie Dillar's book and attended her workshop last year. I bought the math stations chart and tubs from Really Good Stuff. The key, I think, in making it work is teaching the whole class the games ( I used 11) for several weeks then they were able to work in stations by themselves. When they were in stations, I could work with a small group and it worked very smoothly. I did stations once a week to start and only for about 20-25 minutes. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.