PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, February 10, 2011

eReaders in the classroom


Last year I wrote a grant to get a set of 12 Kindle eReaders for my classroom, but alas I didn't get it. However, the amazing PTO at my school deposited a sum of money into classroom's accounts this year after a particularly stellar fundraising event. Needless to say I put that money to good use immediately and purchased two Kindles from Amazon. I know what you are thinking...why didn't you get the color version from B&N Kelley?  I just felt that Amazon offered so many more quality ebook's for kids at the levels that I know I need. The selection was just better. I also wanted the ability to have kids take notes as they are reading, which it turns out is a bit harder than I anticipated. However, kids these days never cease to amaze me with how quickly they can pick up "techie" stuff. Especially when it is this cool! 

Above you can see a photo I took of the two Kindles my class has with their beautiful new cases that I got at the one and only Target. I am still waiting for the earbuds I ordered to come in so that my kiddos can use the read aloud feature. I have started loading them up with great books already. FYI... A to Z Mysteries are currently only $0.88 y'all! Just in case you're in the market for a thrilling mystery written at the third grade level. 

Below I posted another photo of the text up close. It is quite large and I haven't even increased the font size yet. Some of the other great features that Kindle offers to students include the ability to highlight words or entire passages as well as to define tricky words using Wikipedia which is already loaded on it when it comes, text read aloud feature, ability to take notes while reading, rather than using a gazillion (yes, that is a real number) sticky notes, and books you purchase are available almost immediately. No more waiting 2 weeks for the snail mail. 



While I am still in the trial and error phase with the new Kindles, I can say that the kids LOVE them and are more excited about reading than ever. Also, my struggling readers no longer have to worry about feeling pressured to "pretend read" huge, fat chapter books that they can't comprehend because nobody else can see what they are reading! I loves it! It looks like I'll be looking for ways to increase my classroom eReader collection next year as well. I'd love to hear from anyone else who currently uses eReaders with their kids so drop me a line anytime. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.