Every year about this time I start looking for ways to "freshen" up some of my classroom routines to keep kids energized. While I already have the framework laid for a successful writer's workshop with my third graders, I can't wait to start implementing some of her suggestions. While this book provides a wealth of fresh takes on writing, here are my top five faves that good teachers kind of already know, we just struggle to give up this much control over our writers.
- Spelling-Stop spelling words for your kids. In essence, if you have taught spelling strategies such as syllabication rules and have a strong word analysis program in your classroom, then just let your kids write. If we spell words for kids, they develop a kind of dependence on adults as well as a need for perfection which can limit their content. This is not to say that we shouldn't hold our kids accountable for spelling those "no excuse" words that all schools have (see no. 2), but we should be thoughtful in how we teach kids to spell.
- Editing-we need to hold our kids accountable for spelling thier high frequency writing words so that their readers feel respected. Jacobsen suggests putting a dot in the margin on the line to show your writers that something on that line needs to be looked at again, rather than just circling incorrectly spelled words. They do the hard work of editing.
- Revision-this is a step that needs to be taught, including how to perform "surgery" and add spider legs to drafts. Real writing is often messy, with lots of cross outs and such. We should let our kids see our draft work in its true form.
- Publication-not every piece needs to be brought to final publication. This is something I know already but I am often guilty of picking one piece, as well as the prompt that I want my kids to write to and take through the whole process. Jacobsen suggests letting kids publish their own best work, chosen by them, when they want. What an idea! Authentic publication!
- Author's purpose-I am such a rule follower. I often only have my kids write pieces that are required third grade products. Heres a novel idea...why not let our kids practice their writing craft and the skill I have taught in the genre they want? This provides a genuine author's purpose for our kids. I loves it!








1 comments:
I love the idea of putting a dot at the beginning of the line where students need to find a mistake. I give my kids a checklist for things that they need to look for (spelling, punctuation, capitals, etc) but they don't always catch them. Thanks!!!
Mrs. Ibarra
Always First Grade
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.