PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A few classroom pics

I went into my classroom on Monday (sans kiddos) to get some work done before my family comes into town. These last few weeks before I need to report back to school are jam packed so the time is just going to fly. You know how busy teachers are when they head back to school so I wanted to get my room set up so I'm ready for Back to School Night on the 16th. I was super productive and I feel OK with where I left off. Here are some photos of the progress...and pardon the iPhone photos, I forgot my camera:

This is my "READ" sign. I got the idea for this sign from the ladies over at Lesson Plan S.O.S. I bought some cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby and used Mod Podge to adhere cute scrapbook paper to each letter. I love it! I hung it over the door that leads to my team mates mobile.


This is my back wall complete with library, reading table and my reading strategies and CAFE wall. I always start the year off with blank bulletin boards. I often use interactive writing for my reading strategy posters to help my kids anchor the strategies to their own reading. I have found that kids use posters we make together more than store bought posters that are already hanging on the wall when they come back to school. I don't love this set up by any means. There is no "nook" for the kids to snuggle in and read, no fun chairs, etc. due to lack of space in my mobile. I got a few floor pillows from Costco though to provide a few kids with someplace special to read. I'll have two kids per day use them. You can see the pillows laying up against the side of the tall bookcase. No doubt about it though, plenty of wall space for my reading board.


Here is my math calendar bulletin board. It is also a decent size. Each month the calendar elements change so the extra space with definitely get filled as the year continues. I placed my math chart paper off to the left of the bulletin board and left the space up above the board open for adding measurement elements later in the year. The fourth grade teacher who was in this mobile the year before was kind enough to leave her number line up so that was one less thing that I had to put up. I don't love the student computer placement in this picture but seriously there is no other place to put it given where the internet drops are located.





Here is my space...I had to purchase this chrome shelf to store my unit tubs. It is a very tight squeeze behind my desk because of it but whats a gal to do? Check out my neat desk...get a good look at it because that won't last come September! On the side of the tall brown shelf you can see how I store my paper mountains throughout the year (missing drawer is actually at home with me). Rather than using a Monday-Friday system, I made content labels. On the back of the brown shelf is my book recommendation board. The white board is screwed into the wall and will act as one of my word work stations. I seriously used every square inch of this place!







The last photo that I am posting today is of on of the big storage units that came with the mobile. There are actually three, two that are this size and one tall one. This unit is storing more math manipulatives. I also tried to save a little space for school supplies that my kids will bring on Back to School Night (think kleenex boxes and clorox wipes). The top has my treasure box that an awesome parent made for me a few years ago, my wireless tablets and my turn in station for student folders. I think this bulletin board may be used for content anchor charts. I used leftover material for this bulletin board. I used to use only material for all of my bulletin boards when I taught first grade but I am a perfectionist and I hated the way the material wrinkled. Because this one is so small, I was able to get the material the way I wanted it though. What do ya think?



Well that is it for now. I have some things in the works to try to give my classroom a "homey" feel. I can't wait to share some of the details that I am finishing up! How are your classroom coming along? Enjoy your last few weeks of summer!

19 comments:

carolinabound said...

Looks Fabulous--I love it all
After being out of the classroom for three years, and moving across county I am jumping back into third grade...I am in abit of a panic--due to floors being done I can't get into my room until the 15th --first day back for staff.
keep the ideas coming!!

Dana said...

My classroom is coming along, slowly but surely! Your room looks amazing! LOVE your classroom library! :)

Dana
3rd Grade Gridiron

Jill said...

I love how you have everything set up! I can't even tell that it's a mobile! :) And I pinned your READ letters because they are SO cute!!

Marvelous Multiagers!

Emily said...

Your classroom looks GREAT! I haven't been able to get into school yet unfortunately :( I am waiting (impatiently) for the phone call saying I can step foot in my school. I'm pretty anxious b/c I'm setting up 2 classrooms in 2 schools this year!

Pat's Paper Passion said...

I've commented on another blog that tomorrow I'm going to chart my last few days until school begins 8-15-11! I still need to take one grandson school shopping and that's 2.5 hours away...but a Target & Hobby Lobby (I'll be looking for cardboard letters) will make the trip worthwhile. I much prefer to spend 4-5 hours in my room instead of 1-2 as I've been doing.

Good looking room. I like the border on the metal shelves in your area.

Have a great year. It will be very interesting to see the posts all our blogger friends create once school begins.
Pat

A Time to Share & Create


MY WEBSITE

Fabulous 4th Grade

Mrs.M said...

Your room looks great! I just got back, spent a couple hours at school this evening. It's coming along! I'm in a portable classroom too.

Becca Morris said...

Your room looks great! I love all the colors. Plus you have a great looking library! You look like you are ready. I hope to be there soon!

Becca
Simply 2nd Resources

Jennifer Gibson said...

Looks great! I love it. I am getting there with mine. I noticed you have the little storage ottomans as seats at your horseshoe table. I did that, too. It makes it look a lot roomier. I switched the lids on mine so that they coordinate with each other...teal top on blue bottom, blue top on green bottom...

Jennifer
Lifelong Learning

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

Your room looks amazing! So neat and organized. I can only hope mine looks this good by the time the kiddos return...

Ms. J said...

Looks great!! I love the touches of polka dots!!

Miss J

smilescrayonsandendlessstories

Victoria said...

I love seeing new setups! My groups are set up EXACTLY the same- the four facing each other and then the two at the end. Besides that, the "READ" letters are so creative!

I am new to Blogspot... I teach fourth grade. Nice to meet you! I am now a follower.

Victoria
love4thgrade.blogspot.com :)

Abby said...

Having taught in a "party barn" for two years, I know what it's like to try and recreate the homey feel of a classroom. Yours looks FABULOUS!

:) Abby
Third Grade Bookworm

lvrana said...

Wish I could get in my classroom! We can't go until the 9th.. :( Your room is looking great! I just started my own. It needs alot of work but would love youto follow! http://thoughtsofateacher-lvrana.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

I love how it all turned out! Good for you for getting ready ahead of time :) Enjoy the time with your family!

melissa said...

I love the "READ" letters ! that was a super cute idea!

Mrs. Luna said...

I love your "READ" sign, it looks amazing!

Ginger Snaps said...

That READ sign is so cool!

Sarah Adams said...

I also made the READ sign for my classroom and posted it on my blog! I love the paper you chose! So cute! I am now a follower of your blog! You can check mine out too!

http://californiaenglishteacher.blogspot.com

Sarah

Ms. J said...

Your classroom is adorable!! I was wondering if I could pin a few pictures on pinterest?

Thanks

Miss J
Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.