PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Back to School Books-Linky Party

The last time I popped into my classroom (last Friday) I finally unpacked my last behemoth tupperware of picture books from my big move. As I was sorting through them, I came across all of my back to school books that I read to my kiddos the first few days of school. I layed them out on my easel ledge so they would be ready in August and I got to thinking that I would love to add some new titles to my back to school collection.

Here are the titles I share the first few days of school as well as how I use them:

1.

I love this picture book by Mark Teague to get kids talking about their own summer vacations. The main character in this story tends to embellish his story just a tad and this does not go unnoticed by kids.

2.

I picked this book up on a whim as it was wrapped and I couldn't preview it but I just had to have it because of the illustrations. They are so super cute. It turned out to be a fabulous book about teamwork and never giving up on your dreams. Great way to inspire kids in the Fall.

3.


I use these two while I am introducing independent reading procedures in my classroom. They open up the door for discussions on what types of reading environment we want to have in our classroom.

4.


If you are familiar with Bucket Filling, then I'm sure these books are a staple in your classroom already. Click here to view my website page about Bucket Filling to learn more.

Lastly, because I teach an intermediate grade I incorporate chapter book read alouds in my reading program as I teach reading strategies. Rather than listing them all as part of my linky party, I thought I would direct you to my class website page where I have a summary of each book that I read and the months that I read them throughout the school year. Click here to view my chapter book picks.

I would love to see what your favorite back to school books are. Please link up if you want to share.



2 comments:

Smiling Teacher said...

Hi! I just came across your blog (from another blog, but not sure which one) and have spent at least an hour reading your posts! I am so excited to continue reading your posts and hear about your coming school year! Everything I have read so far is making me excited to get back in the classroom when I finish my masters in December!

Good luck with setting up your classroom!

Smiling Teacher

Sarah said...

I love these picks! My favorite is that first one from Mark Teague :)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.