PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Exposing Kids to Great Authors



Happy Tuesday blogging buddies, sorry it has been so long since my last post. I've been consumed with summer fun and I just didn't have anything great to write about...until this morning. Must be the cup of joe I actually got to drink in its entirety before one of my kiddos needed me.

I just finished chapter four of The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. This book was at the top of everyones summer reading lists this year so I'm probably way behind writing a post about ch. 4, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway. Hopefully you'll find it useful.

One statement that Donalyn Miller made in chapter 4 that really resonated with me is that one reason teachers should choose read alouds carefully is to expose young readers to great authors. I assumed she was talking directly to me, a third grade teacher as I go back and forth about which chapter books to read to my class every year. I have a few staples that I use because they lend themselves so well to reading strategies. For example, I always start the year off with How to Be Cool in the Third Grade by Betsy Duffy. Obviously all kids want to start the year off being super cool so this book always sparks personal connections for my kids...but is it a quality author that I would like to see my kids read more of independently.... Yes! This is the new question that I plan to ask myself before I really commit to sharing a chapter book read aloud with my class this year. I plan on getting my hands on some more books by Betsy Duffy so that I can guide students who enjoyed How to Be Cool in the Third Grade to more of her books with a familiar writing style. Hopefully this will increase their comfort level when starting to stray from their old favorites.

I've noticed the trend that third graders tend to feel comfortable reading the Junie B. Jones and Magic Tree House series at the start of the year. It is not always easy to guide them to other incredible series and authors. Two authors that I am partial to are Avi and Kate DiCamillo. I always share Avi's Poppy in January. I think that his style of writing engages kids, especially this book. My class can't get enough, even going so far as to snag my bookmark while I am reading so I just have to continue reading. My class last year got together at recess and made up a chant so that the second I started to close the book, I would be forced to reopen it and read just one more chapter! Now that is what I call engagment! I share this book in January because my third graders are that much more mature and their reading comprehension skills are that much stronger. The Poppy series is a highly sought after series in my room after I share this adventurous story.

I also share the Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. Most kids are slightly familiar with this story as it was a made into a movie a few years back but I am finding that less and less kids have seen it over the years. I love that it is written in such a way that makes you worry and care about the characters. Kate DiCamillo has a plethora of outstanding books that students can dive into after they are introduced to one of her stories.

I've started thinking about my chapter book read alouds as mini author studies where once we share the writers craft together, kids can determine if this is a genre or author they are interested in reading more of.

Those are my nuggets of wisdom this fine Tuesday morning. I would love to hear some of your favorite authors, intermediate or primary. Thanks for sharing!

Also, look at this adorable stick family sticker that my hubby and I ordered for my back windshield. We were able to personalize each family member right down to the color of their shoes. Notice me, I'm the teacher. I love it!


16 comments:

Melissa C. said...

What's the website for your stick family supplier?? I love it!!
Life's a Teach!!

Mrs. Randall said...

Melissa,
We used familystickers.com.
Kelley

Emily said...

I'd love to hear more about your chapter book read alouds. Do you use it mostly as a think aloud, or do you have your students complete assignments using the book? I'm moving up to 3rd this year, so I'm so happy to have found your blog!

Mrs. Randall said...

Hi Emily,
Congrats on the move to third! It was the best move I ever made (from first). I love coming to school every day! Check out my website that I maintain for my students and their families. I have a page dedicated to our current chapter book read alouds (subject to change of course). Here is the link: http://www.mrsrandallsclass.com/TeamRandall/current_novels.html

I use them as think alouds, modeling reading strategies, genres, character and plot development to name a few. I use mostly picture books for my writing mini lessons though, with a few chapter book excerpts thrown in here and there. Thanks for following. I hope my blog proves useful as you move up to third!

Kelley

Tami said...

Great post that has got me thinking. I use Junie B. Jones as a read aloud because my kids love the humor. The other authors you mentioned are great authors for sure, and I will look into other options. Do you have any suggestions for 1st grade read aloud?

AbbyS. said...

In 3rd grade I love to read Love, Ruby Lavendar. It is a wonderful book by Deborah Wiles and the kids really get into it. She has many more great books such as Each Little Bird That Sings. I also read A Dog's Life. It is an autobiography of a stray dog by Ann M. Martin and it is very engagning as well. Bud Not Buddy is a great one too!
However, I am moving to 5th grade this year and would LOVE some suggestions of great read alouds. I will be reading No Talking by Andrew Clements to start the year, because I love getting kids interested in him as an author becasue he has so many great books but would love to hear more ideas! If anyone has some please share.

Emily said...

Thanks! I will check it out.

Jennifer Gibson said...

Thanks for sharing. I love read aloud time in my class. I love Avi and Kate DiCamillo, too, but it has been a couple of years since I read one of those aloud to my students. Another great one for third graders is Andrew Clements. I read Frindle to them, and then they all run to the library to find more books by him! I had a recent blog about favorite fall read alouds. I have so many that I love, it is hard to fit them all in!

Jennifer
Lifelong Learning

Ashleigh said...

I completely agree that it is very important for us to expose our students to great authors. I've found that my students stick with what they've always read until they get a little nudge, and read alouds are perfect for that. Sharon Creech is one of my favorites for older students. I'm also a HUGE Jerry Spinelli fan!

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
hp laserjet 1320 drivers

Mrs. Randall said...

Abby, I haven't read Ruby Lavender but I'll have to check it out! Thanks for all of the great author suggestions everyone...Sharon Creech and Herry Spinelli! How could I have left them off the list. They are fabulous!

Teacher Tam, for first grade you may consider Cam Jansen and the Arthur chapter book series for something new. Good luck!

Kelley

Mrs. Randall said...

ha ha! Herry....I meant Jerry of course!

Debbie said...

What a great list of books and authors for third grade! Kelley, I too love The Tales of Despereaux. Have you read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by DiCamillo? My friend who teaches 4th grade and I have a deal to alternate each year so we both have the opportunity to read Despereaux and Edward Tulane. Andrew Clements is perfect for third graders and I have read Frindle out loud many times until reading No Talking which is HYSTERICAL! I also start my year with books about third grade and include a Clementine book and the World According to Humphrey. As far as series for kids to read themselves, my boys tear through Zack File books by Greensberg like the girls go through Junie B. Jones. Thanks for posting this! It's been fun to read and I have some new ideas! Abbey, a really good read for 5th grade is Loser by Spinelli and anything by Avi. Good luck!

http://debbiesdabblings.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Love ths blog! Read alouds are my students' faborite time of day. I have read The Wonderful Wizard if Oz for 25 years and love it when the students recognize the true character traits. Two yeats ago I found The Seekers: The Quest Begins by Erin Hunter. It has the best descriptive language I have ever read in a book. The students learn to visualize and infer because they get so into the story about the three different bears. I love how my students react to this book. It is thrilling when they beg for more.

Alica said...

Peg Kehret is one of my favorite authors for third-grade read alouds. Whenever I teach third grade I do a mini-author study by reading Earthquake Terror and her memoir, Small Steps: the Year I had Polio. The kids are amazed by all the connections they can draw between the two books, and she has many, many great books, so they all run to the shelves for more! Another book I have always loved to read to third graders is A Bear Called Paddington. A charming book, and fun to introduce them to marmalade!

Ms. O said...

Kate Messner's Marty Mcguire and Sara Pennypacker's Clementine. Two must reads ... especially for third grade!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.