PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Classroom Photos...its coming along!

I popped into my classroom today just to scout out where I wanted to put my new math station tubs. Since space is limited in my mobile, they ended up on top of my taller book cases. I think third graders will be able to reach them pretty easily still. Take a look...I have cute labels that I printed out but I forgot to bring them today. As you can see from the picture, I have settled on having 6 math strand tubs rather than the 10 or so that Debbie Diller suggested in her book, Math Work Stations. I decided to do the 6 strands because I am going to be doing a standards based grading study this upcoming year and these are the math strands from which major grades are taken.

I love how the tubs I found for my math work stations (Target Dollar Spot) totally match my book tubs! My only gripe is that they don't have lids because I liked the idea of posting "I Can" statements to the inside lid. I will be easily able to fit math materials and laminated math talk cards in these tubs though.

This next photo is of my self created storage space. Being in a mobile, I realized I really needed some storage space for my unit tubs and strategy lesson materials. I purchased this tall chrome shelf from Target for approximately $35.00. I have to say that yes, I have spent too much money on storage for this move into a mobile and I'm not thrilled about it. On the flip side, the chrome shelving is extremely sturdy and will look lovely in my garage when I am able to move back into my school building. On these shelves you will see my green unit storage tubs (where I store materials by unit). I only have about half of them here at school. I plan to tote the other ones to school as the unit approaches due to space limitations. You will also see two clear storage totes on the top shelf. I house my files here by month. I have the first four months of school files at school currently, two months per tote. The wicker basket on top is empty but I thought it was pretty. I'm sure I'll find a use for it. The black magazine holders are extra large. I got them from Walmart years ago. They are perfect for organizing my mentor text collection by writing trait. I also have some extras for content/supplemental texts. I had a parent go through and take a book inventory of each mentor text and content text tub for me. The inventory is in clear plastic sheet protectors which I tucked in a binder. You won't even believe how easy it is for me to locate texts I need for a lesson! I love this system and wasn't willing to give it up this year due to space. I made it happen! My only gripe with this area is that the chrome shelf is pretty wide and there isn't much space between my desk and the shelf which means I need a desk chair without big bulky arms on it so I can slide in and out easily. You can't see it in this photo but my desk is right in front of the chrome shelf. After looking at this shelf in the photo, I think it looks kind of industrial but in person the shiny chrome looks somewhat modern...its not so bad.

You might notice the photos of my boys and the extra ribbon laying around on the shelf. I am going to thread that ribbon through each shelf. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The ribbon has various sports themes on it to correlate with my team theme. I'm going to get two plain white frames to replace the current ones and hang them on the small patch of wall next to the shelf and window. Oh, I forgot to mention that metal filing system on the shelf. That houses my most often used multiple copies such as spelling papers (link to past post and spelling printables), Super Book Project rubrics and calendars (another link for some printables), field trip info., etc. I am going to make a nice sign for the front of it.

Well, it certainly is coming along! My next step is to hang my curtains and shop for new fadeless paper and borders-always a favorite thing of mine! I can't wait to see all of your rooms this Fall!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! My school is building an addition and that is where I am moving. I just heard that it might not be finished by the time school starts! Uggg! Thanks for your great blog!
Tammy
Live Love Laugh Everyday In Kindergarten

Jeanne said...

Love to browse your classroom! It is so lively and eye-catching. I am always on the prowl for baskets. My Target doesn't usually get anything good until after July 4th so maybe....
BTW, how much were the baskets you have for the math strands?

Kristen said...

Kelley, you are so efficient and organized. I swear, every time I go into my classroom for the first couple of times, I cannot focus on one thing to get done!!! You are my inspiration to focus and get organized right away this summer. When do you go back? Are you just setting up early because you are in a different room? Everything looks FANTASTIC!!
Kristen

Abby said...

I agree with Kristen - I've tried to go in and work in my room this week, and I feel so scatterbrained!! :)

Your room is looking great and I LOVE your reading baskets!!

Third Grade Bookworm

Mrs. Berg said...

I can sit and stare at that organization all day. Beautiful=)

First Grade School Box

Marissa Tompkins said...

I love looking at other teacher's classrooms! There's always great ideas! I'm a little jealous because I can't get into my new classroom until the middle of August...extra planning for me until then I guess. ha! Thanks for sharing what you've done.

WILD About First Grade!

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks for the kind comments ladies. Kristin, I don't go back to school until mid-August, but with my move to a mobile I wanted to make sure I was set up efficiently. Also, I have two boys that I have to bring along with me so I keep going in for an hour or two at a time to get stuff done. The first time was totally unproductive, I just kind of stood there feeling way overwhelmed. I went home and made a plan and that really helped! I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. I love the bright rainbow color scheme.

Kelley

Giggle, Giggle, Kindergarten said...

I have 2 of these shelves (the smaller ones) & I was trying to figure out what I was going to do to make the cuter - I thought about spray paint, but I already have SO many projects I want to do that I don't think I will have enough time to get done - so thank you for sharing the cute idea with the ribbon!! It will be a great way to add a little something to my metal shelves! :)


I just started my own Kindergarten blog & would love for you to check it out & let me know what you think! I am still working on learning the fancy stuff :)

http://gigglegigglekindergarten.blogspot.com/

Haley

Giggle, Giggle, Kindergarten said...

Oh I forgot to ask - How did you hang the clipboard on the side of your bookcase?? :)

Mrs. Randall said...

I checked out your blog Giggle, Giggle Kindergarten. Very cute! I hung the clipboard using removable sticky tape that I found at Target. When I want to take it down, I can use the plastic pull tab on the tape to gently peel it away, mess free. I think it is the greatest invention ever. They even have velcro frame holders that I use in my home.

Kelley

Randi Lembke said...

Thanks for the great ideas. I am new to professional blogging and I am completely addicted because of blogs like yours:)

hoppykindergarten.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Looks great!!! I am so jealous, you are so much further ahead than I am!!!


Amber
http://thirdgradeshenanigans.blogspot.com/

Maria new to 3rd grade said...

I can honestly say organization is where I struggle. THank you soo much for your help on the ideas. Just waiting to see my new classroom so i know what I'll need.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.