PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, June 24, 2011

My "must haves" for Fall



Let me set the scene in my house this evening for you all...

My hubby walks in the door from work with a stack of catalogs. I ask "anything good come in the mail?" He says "Nope. Just a bunch of catalogs." Hello! Those are the bomb-dot-com in my opinion. Every time my Really Good Stuff catalog arrives I pour over the pages with such intensity, hoping to find something reasonably priced that I just have to get for my third graders. I know I'm not alone.

With all of the reductions school districts have had, I have received a few emails from teachers who are moving up or down to teach third grade for the first time. I thought I'd share my "must haves" for the fall to help give them some ideas. Every now and then I included a link for you to check out a related post or photo. I hope this helps!

1. Making Words Kit-this kit is pricey but do you even know how many times I've created letters to go with my Making Words lessons? I'm willing to fork it over for this bad boy. Perfect for use on the document camera and then so portable, the kit can be thrown in Daily 5 or literacy work station tubs. Links: Daily 5, Literacy Station Organization


2. Letter Tile Stand-OK I just want the set of stands, not the letters. Last year I was lucky enough to find a company that collects and distributes old scrabble tiles. I got a set of 400 scrabble letter tiles for free, all I had to do was pay for shipping which was less than $3.00. They are awesome and just begging to be used with these stands in my spelling and/or word work station.


3. 10-Drawer Mobile Organizer-I purchased this organizer last year (much cheaper from Amazon) and it was so useful. I have some 3-drawer files near my desk for my own copies to hand out to kids, but I kept this tall organizer right next to my media station. It held large quantities of extra copies for the year that student helpers could access such as spelling tests, math homelinks, Mini-Mustang notecatchers and rubrics. My kids got in the habit of grabbing what they needed from the drawers without my support. Glorious freedom!


4. Borders-Cute borders for your bulletin boards. I probably didn't need to even mention that but honestly, look at the cuteness!


5. Oriental Trading Book Baskets-Baskets, baskets, baskets. A teacher can never have too many baskets. No really, that is a true statement. Link: See my new baskets getting all set up for this coming fall


6. Binders, binders, binders. A teacher can never have too many binders. De ja vu! Links: Team Binders,, Guided Reading Binder and Reader's Notebooks


7. Zenergy Chime Trio-OK so maybe this isn't a must have exactly, but all teachers must have some way of getting their kiddos attention. When my kids are on the carpet, I use a little bumble bee maraca but when they are at their desks or working in groups I use an old restaurant bell (ya know, of the "order up!" variety), however what I really want is this Zenergy Chime Trio from Really Good Stuff. I imagine it must sound similar to the three chimes that are played in the movie Grease before the principal makes her announcements. That makes it a must have for moia.


8. Supportive/cute shoes-A great pair of shoes. Ya got to have a great and supportive pair of shoes when you stand all day long. Literally. All. Day. Long. I love my Danskos. I have lots of them. Might I suggest this adorable tapestry clog for the Fall?


9. Water Bottle-Finally, a huge refillable cup o water. This needs to sit on your desk. You might want a second for your reading table. Possible a third for your easel and carpet area. I'll leave that one up to you.


I hope you found some of this helpful! Happy weekend! I'm off to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox. One of my third grade book club groups chose this text this past year and we all loved it. It had been a while since I read it and I've been dying to see the movie. I don't know why, the books are always better!

18 comments:

Jill said...

I want that mobile organizer! I subbed in a classroom with one once, it was so useful and colorful! I also subbed in a room that used chimes like the ones you posted. It was a lovely sounds that the students responded to immediately!

Magnificent Multiagers!

luvzenkms2(Leea) said...

Do you still have the scrabble tile company info? We have been stalking ebay (which if you need the info I got 20 stands on there for cheap) but no luck with the tiles! My coworkers use a train whistle, one claps her hands twice, the kids respond by clapping 3 times...the baskets some have seen similar ones at the Dollar Store....Hope these help?

Melissa C. said...

I have the mobile organizer, too and love,love,love it! I keep it by my table and have all kinds of guided reading goodies housed in it!
Www.lifesateach.blogspot.com

Miss Megan said...

Totally have the starbucks cup, plastic bins, and "dots on turquoise" :) love them all!

Mrs. Voss said...

You can get the organizer xheaper at Joann's Fabrics (which now has a huge parent teacher store section)!!!

Doris Young said...

All the stores are discounting summer stuff! I found some great outdoor cushions for my booknooks next year! Love dorm room stuff too! LOVE your blog....great inspiration for me!

http://thirdgradethinkers8.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks everyone! I can't find the scrabble tile info. but if I come across it I will post about it. Sorry... Thanks for the tip about the organizers being even cheaper at Joann's. I've been thinking about getting the double wide set and they are so cheap online at Joann's. Yeah! I was in Target yesterday and the dollar section had really large book tubs that match the ones I got at Oriental Trading so I cleaned them out and got 13 big tubs for my picture book collection. I just love matchy stuff!

Have a great weekend guys!
Kelley

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the great suggestions! I am going to be a first year teacher (3rd grade!) in August and am trying to get ready for it. Your suggestions are very helpful!

http://firstyearinthe3rdgrade.blogspot.com/

Jess said...

I have the storage organizer and the chimes! You won't regret either purchase. The colorful storage holds my math games and is great because it can be easily moved. I love the chimes because they are so quiet yet very effective! I just posted about using them in transitions. Good luck with your shopping!

Marissa Tompkins said...

I have many of the Starbucks cups! They're my favorites! I love the binders! Seeing those bright colors makes me smile and want to go get some. :)

WILD About First Grade!

Karen Day said...

OMG those Dansko's TOTALLY rock!! I have boring black but I got them way back when I was teaching for a scrapbook company. I would stand for HOURS teaching in a booth at trade shows and CK conventions.. oh my poor piggies!! Now that I am back in the classroom I love them for long days, and I can slip them off easily.

Thanks for sharing!

Karen @ a little kinder told me so!

Kristen said...

I looove that 10 drawer cart, going to have to try really hard to resist purchasing that one! Thanks for linking up!!
Kristen

Melissa said...

I just cleaned out my closet at school the other week and I'm pretty sure I had about 8 of the scrabble tile holders that I don't need. I think I put them in the giveaway pile (which is still in the corner of my classroom, so nobody's gone through it yet). If they are where I think they are, do you want them?
F is For First Grade

Big Reader said...

Where is the making words kit from? I have already gone to Joanne's and bought the drawers! Your organizational skills are incredible! Thanks for sharing. If you prefer to reply to email here it is: spung57@gmail.com

Thanks!
Sandy

Miss Jasper said...

Go to Lowe's of Home Depot and buy some quarter round (I think that is what it is called), they will cut it into pieces for you and it would hold your scrabble letters. They cut all kinds of things for me when I tell them I am a teacher and have no way to cut it.

Melissa Williams said...

For the free tiles, search for Protiles. That is the company I requested, by e-mail, my free tiles. Make sure to give the information about where you teach.

Tiffani said...

Love the drawers. Never thought of using the scrabble stands. I have the individual making words blue pocket charts I bought with a grant years ago.
Tiffani
Time 4 Kindergarten

Anonymous said...

I love all of these too! As of July 21st, the 10 drawer organizer is on sale at Michaels for $34.99 and they have a 25% off coupon in their flyer.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.