I tried. I really did, but I found myself slowly moving away from word work lessons, then word work practice, etc. and back to a larger block of teaching time where I covered all of my skills along with guided practice and provided my independent practice of those same skills while I pulled my reading groups. I struggled with making that change to my schedule because I felt like I was compromising the integrity of the Daily Five but I finally gave in to what felt better to me and seemed to work better for my kiddos and just ran my Daily Five activities like centers. Even though I still called it Daily Five, my kids were really only getting to approximately three activity rotations. I didn't feel as though this was too big of a deal as long as they were learning and being productive. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or stories welcome here of course.
When I taught first grade, I felt the need to support my kids with center rotation charts. However in third grade I knew I could trust my class to make the right choices during Daily Five, be productive and improve on their literacy skills. For this reason, I did away with center rotation charts. As the first trimester progressed, I noticed the same few kids sticking with the same activities everyday. It was hard to monitor them while pulling groups and be certain they were getting a well rounded practice of skills. So in lieu of the traditional rotation chart I made giant bookmarks! I made one for each student in my class. As you can see below, the bookmarks have all of the Daily Five rotations listed in various orders. I have my class pick out one bookmark, start at the top and work their way down to ensure they hit up all of the activities I have. They can turn in their bookmark to the big bucket for a new one with a different order when they have completed all five for the week. This happens at different times for different kids throughout the week. The bookmark system has proven to be successful in managing not only how many kids are trying to work on a specific activity, but it also helped ensure kids would in fact reach all of the activities each week, some more often than others depending on how quickly they work. The bookmarks make it easy to make "on the fly" accommodations by simply writing on them with vis-a-vis marker or attaching a clip to help students keep their place and know just where to start the next day.
* I apologize for the glare but I can't seem to take a photo of a laminated object with out it *
I started the year off having my kids record their choices on this chart. Under each activity title, I listed some of the choices that kids could pick. They were the same ones that we added to our anchor charts when I introduced each activity. As the year progressed and I changed the timing and format, the sheet changed as well. I shrunk it to half a page, added a reminder to check the board for must do's (typically something left from morning work or a specific vocabulary assignment) and finally reduced the amount of recording kids had to do. Instead of listing what strategy they used while reading or what topic they wrote about, I had them check it off. Some kids really needed this structure while others were able to phase it out once they established a solid routine. Here is the original version.
After all of that rambling... it turns out I don't love Daily Five. I know, I know....gasp! I DO love the theory of it, but I am definitely more of a Debbie Diller Workstations fan. I feel like when all is said and done, I followed the Workstations format to a tee! So... alas I will be making changes for next year as well. I would love to hear from you so drop me a line about what systems work for you.
Note-see my Shelfari bookshelf at the bottom, right side of my blog to take a look at the books I mentioned in this post.









24 comments:
hey fellow 3rd grade teacher... I enjoyed this post and your honesty. I must live under a rock but I had no clue what Daily 5 was until I joined the teaching bloggy world!!! Thanks again for your post.... hope you can join my linky party and give away over at
http://ohboy3rdgrade.blogspot.com
Hey! I have no idea how I finally ended up here...this blogging business does not help my adhd tendencies :o) I am in awe of your organization skills! I am still learning... I teach kindergarten, so there is always something to put away. I have not taught Daily 5, but we have 5 days per week of "workshops," and it looks a little similar. Anyway, cute blog! :o)
http://sothentherewere2.blogspot.com
I really like your idea of the Daily 5 rotation bookmarks. I could see myself even doing this with my first graders. Would you be willing to share the template for your bookmark? I would love to use it if you don't mind!
Colleen Patton
colleen.patton115@gmail.com
Mrs. Patton’s Patch
Hi Colleen, so glad you stopped by. I would be happy to share my bookmark template. I'll post it soon. I love your blog!
I would love to use the bookmark as well. I teacher third grade, and this is my first year. If you could share any hints as to how you fit in the rotations while trying to do your main lesson & reading group, I would greatly appreciate it.
Rachelle
anderson9173@sbcglobal.net
I love the Daily Five, and I was a trainer for our school in Texas. I am now back in Florida and I'm the only one at my school, but I've been so successful with it in the past that I'm fine doing it alone. But I do agree it has to work the way YOU want it to work...I start the year assigning the stations, because even in 3rd grade, they are not good with "free choice" because they have not done it before. We were wasting alllllllll our time just picking the next center. This 4th nine weeks, they have a choice, and if they are not "thinking" about it and ready to go...I skip them. They know where they are going next and they are quick to tell me, it takes less than 5 mins. now. I also had to assign certain assignments during certain blocks, to make sure I covered my districts expectations. Tuesday's Read to Self will ALWAYS be to read the reading series' weekly story, so I just assign it that way. Thursday's Word Work will always be to give each other a spelling pre-test. In Texas one year I only had enough time for the Daily Four, so I think you have to work it around your children and your style each year.
I am interested in your comment about Debbie Diller and will Google her...
Thanks,
~Fern
Fern-Smith.BlogSpot.com
I lovr, love, love this idea!! I teach first grade but definitley could see them using this! I had some trouble viewing the document....I'll check back later and see if I can download it later :)
Curls and a Smile
Ms. Morgart, let me know if you can't download them and I can email them to you if you leave me your address.
Kelley
I would love to see how your schedule looks. Do you have your schedule on here anywhere?
Carole
cachilders@marionunit2.org
I use the CAFE, too. Also, like you my Daily 5 is not exactly that. It seems close to impossible for me to fit everything in a day. I have about three rotations, and then I pretty much determine the listen to reading and partner reading by scheduling them into our day somewhere. I often fit them in during a content area.
I am a HUGE believer in using it in a way that works for you. Be willing to change and adapt it as necessary. Next year will be the 3rd year I am using it, and while some things stay constant, I keep changing things to try and make it more effective.
Keep working and sharing your ideas!
Jennifer
http://3rdgradelearners.blogspot.com
I just found this post so I'm a little behind, but I just wanted to say that I am SO relieved to hear someone say they aren't "in love" with the Daily 5. I am supposed to use it next year in the new district I'm starting in. I have done my homework this summer, but I just can't get behind some of it. Like you, the IDEA of it is wonderful!!, but I'm just not seeing it be a reality in my classroom. I'm also more of a Deb Diller fan. She's wonderful! She's great friends with an old colleague of mine and has done some work at my old school. She's great, really sweet, and to the point! (much like myself!) Thank you, my dear, for this post! PHEW!!
I would LOVE to have your Daily 5 bookmark! I teach 1st grade and think I could get it to work (hopefully)
srv5008@gmail.com
Thank you!
I know that you posted this last year, but I just came across this now. I do the Daily 5, well actually just 3 this year, but will try and do all 5 next year and would love to use your bookmarks. Would you will willing to share the template? I teach 1st grade and I can see this being the easiest way for my students to know what they are doing without spending the whole time just making a choice. THis is such a great idea.....
kryan428@gmail.com
Thanks
I am your newest, biggest fan. I don't heart Daily 5 but a required to teach it. I am a HUGE Debbie Diller fan! In fact, I have Practice with Purpose right here next to me. Re-reading it and taking more notes. Don't you just love her stuff? I think that I can still call my rotations "Daily 5" but they really will be Literacy Work Stations.
Susan at RodriguezRockStars.blogspot.com
I love your bookmark idea. Could you email me it?
jnjbrennan@sbcglobal.net
I love the bookmark, too. Would you please email it to me? Thanks!
karen.weston@sad1.org
Could I please have a copy of your bookmark? kkgpeanut@yahoo.com. Thanks!
I love the bookmark! I like to have more control in my classroom even when the kids are getting choices.. Thanks!
jmkjah@hotmail.com
Would love to have the bookmarks emailed to me. Great idea! Thank you for sharing. donnarunt@verizon.net
Could you please email me a copy of the bookmark? I am new to the Daily 5 and that would be great to use not only for the students but for me as well! Thanks! -Cshulha@hotmail.com
Thank you! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I really like the Daily 5 but I am have a lot of trouble fitting it into my new schedule (new grade). I would love a copy of your bookmark and the document that you had attached as it is not available for viewing. Tiffany_Smith14@aol.com
I am just starting to incorporate the Daily 5 into my third grade classroom. Could I have a copy of the bookmark?
Thank you!
ppf13@hotmail.com
I am about to have a go at daily 5 in my classroom, would love a copy of your bookmark as it looks so great!
1462churchill@gmail.com
Thanks alot
I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone
to do it for you? Plz reply as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thank you
Here is my blog post - easy ways to make money from home
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.