PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Everyday Math Games and Tool Organization

I am on Spring Break this week and I am planning on doing a little spring cleaning and organizing at home so I thought a fitting topic would be to continue along on my classroom organization posting streak!

 If you are familiar with the Everyday Math program, you know that there are a ton of great games that allow kids to practice the new concepts they are learning. I have taken my favorite games from the program that help develop some of the most important concepts (and provide the biggest bang for the buck as far as skills practiced while playing) and created a system for kids to check them out easily.

First I began by deciding upon which games my students would play a lot throughout the year. Then I made the directions durable. You can either copy and laminate the math masters provided in the teacher manual or type out the directions on your own before laminating all of the games you want to make available for your kids. Next I divided each game into baggies, one for the regular version and one for the advanced version. I included all of the materials needed to play the games such as dice, bags, tiles, cards, money, etc. Each game is then stored in these labeled blue magazine holders with the exception of my fact power games. I found that there are just too many great addition and subtraction games as well as multiplication and division games that I use (from the program as well as some supplemental games I made) so I created two tubs for all of them. I labeled them both Fact Power and then added the operation signs (+/- or x/%).

I have them all out at the start of the year but students are only allowed to play the games I have explicitly taught. After I have taught a game, I add it to a nearby math game chart for kids to refer to. Most of the time I assign a game and which level I want kids to use because I know what they need the most work on but occasionally I let them play a game of their choice.


Along with the great math games, the Everyday Math program provides a lot of math tools for students to use. I have seen teachers give each student their own "toolkit" to store in their desks but as space is limited in my students desks, I prefer to store mine in the blue tubs seen above my cubbies. Each table group has their own labeled tub that contains tiny tupperwares of coins, calculators, soapdishes of cards, mini erasers for use on games and wipeboards, clocks, mini hundreds charts, mini multiplication tables and tape measures. I used to store the pattern block templates here as well but the kids used them so often they preferred to keep them in their writing caddies on their desks so I let them. I label each math tool within the kit with the table number so that if something goes missing, I know which table it came from. I have never had any lost or unaccounted for tools with this system and it only takes 30 seconds for kids to grab them off of the shelf and bring them back to their tables. It also eliminates kids digging in their desks during my math lessons looking for tools.

Finally, in the background of this photo you can see a lot of red tubs on the shelves and a few of my larger white tubs resting on the shelves as well. There are enough for each table group to have one tub. These red tubs store pattern blocks and the white tubs store base ten blocks. Whenever I have a lesson that requires kids to use either of these tools, each table group can grab the tub they need and Voila! they are ready to go!

Please let me know if there are other classroom organization systems you are interested in seeing that I could post about. I know I am always interested in seeing how other teachers house their materials in efficient ways and I always seem to be in the middle of a new project. Right now I am in the process of reorganizing my mass amounts of word work games from sitting in a huge messy pile in one of my large filing cabinets to labeled plastic envelops I found at Target.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an organizing inspiration! I am in awe of all the "homes" for everything in your room! I am a kindergarten teacher, and it is very difficult to keep all of our things in their homes. Anyway, I love seeing your great ideas! One question: what are the mini buckets for that hang at the top of each cubbie?

http://sothentherewere2.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

Kelley, I love this! I have mine organized, but I want them to take up less space next year. I'm going to refer back here this summer when I reorganize them...thanks so much for sharing!!

Kristen
Ladybug's Teacher Files

Julie said...

Where have you been all my life!! :)
It is awesome that we are both third grade, both do everyday math, both love the comprehension strategies, both do daily 5 etc. I love all the stuff you post!! I'm totally going to organize my materials by learning club!! Great idea! I went a new route this year and don't like it. So, are down the hall from me and we have never met?? Too funny! Keep the ideas rolling! Have you posted any of those games that you have remade in your own words? I'm prob. moving to 4th grade next year but I could pass the treasures along or tackle them myself if I stay.

Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

Mrs. Randall said...

Kristen, I got the metal stand at Target or Walmart before school started. I think they are pretty readily available. The magazine holders came from the Demco website....just in case you were wondering. Of course Target now sells pretty magazine holders.

Brenna, Thanks! The mini-buckets are just a novelty to help remind my kids about "bucketfilling" which is part of my school's positive behavior support plan. See my class site for more info. at www.mrsrandallsclass.com in the parents section. In the beginning of the year I have my kids give a puffball (cheap art supplies at Walmart) to a friend if they filled their buckets by being kind. When the kids have ten puffs in their buckets, they can trade them back in for a sticker to add to their bucket. I also have a little 1/4 sheet of paper kids can fill out every time they earn a sticker describing a kind action. I put them all in a jar and pull them out randomly at the end of the day to help build our classroom community. It is sooo cute...they still clap for eachother when I read them. I am going to let my kids keep them at the end of the year and then just reorder from oriental trading. I used those new sticky backed tab hooks by 3M from Target to hang them and they have lasted all year!

Julie said...

By the way are those black chairs behind your blue boxes?? My room is all black and beige with color sprinkled lightly. Those look cool! Where did you get them?

Julie

Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

Mrs. Randall said...

Julie, I know! You know, as organized as I am I tend to make things and then file them away in some random folder on my computer and have a hard time finding it again. I'll try to hunt some games down. I have a lot of store bought things in my fact power tubs though, like fact triangles and wrap-ups.

Mrs. Randall said...

Julie,
Those chairs in our hallway (we call it our Flex area because it is huge and provides lots of room for groups to work) are super cool! They have a red bottom with a rounded black back and they fit around our half moon tables. They are our school colors and the kids love them! My classroom chairs are just navy blue, except for my own teacher chair that happens to be bright orange... gotta love Walmart!

Sarah Jane said...

How do you store the game boards?

Sarah Jane said...

How do you store the game boards?

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.