PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Linky Party-My Nest

Ohboy3rgrade is having a linky party in which teachers share their favorite (and not so favorite) areas of their classroom that they consider their "nest." I must admit I don't really spend that much time at my desk other than right at the end of the day (if I don't have a meeting) trying to keep on top of my grading/reviewing or planning. I like to keep it organized with an easily accessible open area for my kids to play math games on in pairs. Here goes...


THE GOOD...

This is where I keep my plan book, and the teacher manuals that I refer to most often throughout the week. The other manuals/resources are in the big cabinet next to my desk. I also keep my grading book (where I enter grades and then transfer to an online system when I have time) and my Focus Student binder handy. In the light green file holder I store a mini-binder that I grab on the way to staff meetings, last years plan book-just in case, my crisis binder for emergencies and some of my files that I use often such as rubric masters for my class blog, contracts and work samples, etc. In the back you can see a metal file holder which houses a few more of my most used files for easy access as well as laminated folders I put on kids desks when they are absent so that I can just slide missed work in them as the day progresses. And finally, my big ol'cup of joe!


Here is the other side of my desk...nothing special to look at here. Just my little drawers for sticky notes, gum, chapstick, etc. And oh...what's that? That little tri-colored pad? Oh, that's just my favoritist (thats a word I bet) purchase from Really Good Stuff ever! It has three sections for me to categorize my to-do list. I tore off the pages to make it look neat but trust me, it is super handy.


More of the other side of my desk, tape and staplers (don't ask me why but 3rd graders tend to love using these items for just about anything they can think up so I have plenty on hand for them), a black wire basket where I store items needing my immediate attention such as items to copy, read, sign, file, etc. and lastly my "in-box" where kids turn in their work.


A better view of my "in-box". I used little frames I bought at Pier One years ago to hold funny little reminders for kids to put their name on their paper, etc. I used a little sticky-gum stuff from Office Depot to make sure they don't topple over every time someone turns something in.



Next to my desk I have a huge set of cabinets and these wire shelves above my sink. I bought these stacking tubs from Walmart and used them to house my materials for all of the major units of study I teach.


These desktop file cabinets sit on the shelf next to my desk. I labeled them with different content areas and use them to store copies I need for upcoming lessons. I'm thinking of going to a Monday-Friday system next year and using the leftovers for storing large quantities of copies for further out lessons. There is no reason that these are different colors, other than I got them at different points in my teaching career. It bugs me though. I have a bit of self-diagnosed OCD, maybe.



THE BAD...

This is a small area next to my desk where I store my spelling files and file folder games. Also, it is currently housing some literacy games that I haven't gotten ready for the kids to use yet that I got through a Donor's Choose project request that was fully funded. Yeah! If you want to know what is behind that curtain you'll just have to use your imagination. There was no way I was going to show that off. It is a jumble of posters and anchor charts that I use. I can't stand the way they look all mixed up on the shelves so I covered it with cute cloth from the fabric section at Walmart. There...now doesn't that look better?




OK, this seriously isn't that bad but it is where stuff goes to "eh hem" die when I can't figure out what to do with it. Yes, it usually finds a home but for now my huge crate of books on cd and my cutest little mini-fridge (perfect for yogurt) live under my desk. That purple bucket...that must have died recently because I don't know where it came from or what to do with it.

Well, there you have it. People tell me I'm a very organized person but if they only new what really lies beneath that cute fabric cloth they might think twice!


5 comments:

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

Hi! Just found your blog, and I love all of your organization tips! Can't wait to read more :)

My blog: http://juiceboxesandcrayolas.blogspot.com

Julie said...

I love your blog! I just scrolled through quick cuz I'm off to play volleyball but I can't wait to take a deeper look! I'm excited to check out your Daily 5 stuff and the comp. piece I saw a little further down. Thanks for the cool finds!
When my blog grows up it wants to be like yours! :)

Julie

Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

oh' boy said...

thanks for joining my linky...& I am way JEALOUS of the "mini" fridge :)

Ms.M said...

Very organized. I love it.

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Ok...you're little red fridge is the cutest thing ever!! Where did you get it?

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.