PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vocabulary and Word Skills

I teach A TON of word skills in third grade. It isn't the first exposure that my kids have had to all of the various word skills but it is the year that they are expected to take their understanding to the mastery level. They are asked to identify word types, add to charts, fill in the blank, etc. to demonstrate their understanding. I made this little study guide that I use in the Spring to review all of the word types we have practiced throughout the year. Each morning I have them define one or two words and add examples of each. They can be cut out and stapled into a little booklet when completed for easy reference.


Another review page that I have found useful to help review vocabulary words that come from my reading program is this word jar sheet. I have a large jar in my classroom that I made out of poster board where we "collect" interesting words and words from the program my school uses. I feel as though the words get limited use by my students though, even when we define them, doodle examples, use them in sentences, etc. They seem to forget them by the time I am ready to introduce new words. I assign the word jar sheet as homework occasionally if we have a particularly tricky bunch of vocabulary words. I'd love to hear how you incorporate your vocabulary words into your day. I love how Ladybug's teacher files posts the various vocabulary she uses in different content areas so I was thinking of giving her idea a try as well.


2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for all the sassy stuff!!
How do you get your fonts to stay when you upload to Scribd?? Mine all changed.

Julie

Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

Mrs. Randall said...

Hi Julie,
I just save mine as a pdf rather than a docx file so they stay the same. I upload mine to googledocs just because I already had an account but I think it is very similar to Scribd. Good luck!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.