I've recently posted about how I organize my math games and various math tools that my students use but I love that Mrs. Patton is hosting an organization week so here is a recap in case you missed it.
Please don't forget to check out

Back to math, here goes...
If you are familiar with the Everyday Math program, you know that there are a ton of great games that allow kids to practice the new concepts they are learning. I have taken my favorite games from the program that help develop some of the most important concepts (and provide the biggest bang for the buck as far as skills practiced while playing) and created a system for kids to check them out easily.
First I began by deciding upon which games my students would play a lot throughout the year. Then I made the directions durable. You can either copy and laminate the math masters provided in the teacher manual or type out the directions on your own before laminating all of the games you want to make available for your kids. Next I divided each game into baggies, one for the regular version and one for the advanced version. I included all of the materials needed to play the games such as dice, bags, tiles, cards, money, etc. Each game is then stored in these labeled blue magazine holders with the exception of my fact power games. I found that there are just too many great addition and subtraction games as well as multiplication and division games that I use (from the program as well as some supplemental games I made) so I created two tubs for all of them. I labeled them both Fact Power and then added the operation signs (+/- or x/%).
I have them all out at the start of the year but students are only allowed to play the games I have explicitly taught. After I have taught a game, I add it to a nearby math game chart for kids to refer to. Most of the time I assign a game and which level I want kids to use because I know what they need the most work on but occasionally I let them play a game of their choice.
Along with the great math games, the Everyday Math program provides a lot of math tools for students to use. I have seen teachers give each student their own "toolkit" to store in their desks but as space is limited in my students desks, I prefer to store mine in the blue tubs seen above my cubbies. Each table group has their own labeled tub that contains tiny tupperwares of coins, calculators, soapdishes of cards, mini erasers for use on games and wipeboards, clocks, mini hundreds charts, mini multiplication tables and tape measures. I used to store the pattern block templates here as well but the kids used them so often they preferred to keep them in their writing caddies on their desks so I let them. I label each math tool within the kit with the table number so that if something goes missing, I know which table it came from. I have never had any lost or unaccounted for tools with this system and it only takes 30 seconds for kids to grab them off of the shelf and bring them back to their tables. It also eliminates kids digging in their desks during my math lessons looking for tools.
Finally, in the background of this photo you can see a lot of red tubs on the shelves and a few of my larger white tubs resting on the shelves as well. There are enough for each table group to have one tub. These red tubs store pattern blocks and the white tubs store base ten blocks. Whenever I have a lesson that requires kids to use either of these tools, each table group can grab the tub they need and Voila! they are ready to go!
Can't wait to read about how you organize your math materials. Thanks for reading!








7 comments:
Dear Kelley,
Would you (OR have you) take pictures of your entire room?!?! Just wall by wall! :)
I love, love, love it! I am job sharing this year, but I can't wait to have my own room next year! I love your blog!
Thanks a bunch,
~Fern
fern-smith.blogspot.com
I would love to see those pictures too! I am movign to third grade in the fall (from first) and am working to wrap my head around how I want to do things!
Would you also be willing to share your list of Everyday Math games that you love the most?
Fern and Kelly,
I'm so glad that you stopped by my blog. I have a classroom website that I post my classroom tour on. Here is the link:
http://www.mrsrandallsclass.com/TeamRandall/Classroom_Tour.html
I have two years worth of classroom tours up with descriptions next to each photo.
My favorite math games include all the basic fact power games they introduce at the start of the year, baseball multiplication, fraction top-it, factor bingo, multiplication bingo, block drawing game, spinning to win, array bingo, equivalent fractions. Those are the games I would definitely have on hand for third grade. Also, I shrink the multiplication table in the Everyday Math masters book and then laminate them for each student.
Thanks Ladies, Kelley
Thanks for sharing, Kelley! Great ideas. I teach EDM too and almost never get to the games, unfortunately. You have definitely inspired me to get organized with the games. I know that if they were more organized and readily available, I would incorporate them more into my teaching!
Okay, I just looked at your classroom tour on your site and it's AMAZING! I wanted to ask you about your Bucket Filling. I just read that book for the first time and would love to know more about how you use it in your school!
Wow, your games looks so organized! Thanks for participating again :)
Colleen Patton
Mrs. Patton’s Patch
Hey Miss Teacher, check out this link for more info. on how I use Bucket Filling in my class.
http://www.mrsrandallsclass.com/TeamRandall/Bucket_Filling.html
Thanks again for visiting my blog today.
Kelley
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.