I didn't have it in my mind to post about these cards today, but then I saw my kids in action and realized that they still use the cards and they work! My higher groups tend to hold the cards but rarely refer to them, even though their conversations were thorough. This tells me that at some point they were using these cards to develop their understanding. My typical groups had their cards handy and really used them as a resource. I was so proud and their level of understanding impressed me as well. They are getting to the point where they can provide details from the text to support their answers.
FYI...we are currently working on determining importance and reading biographies about notable people in history. Last year, I worried that my class wasn't getting the whole picture of what type of person their notable was. This year, after having my kids use these cards to work their way through their biographies, I feel as though they already have a deeper understanding of their notables life and accomplishments.
Woo-hoo for resources that work and are easy to implement!
Here is a copy of the cards that I created. The first is the higher level set I use for fiction, the middle is the nonfiction set, and the third is the basic set I used in the Fall. I cut them out and pasted them back to back with a piece of construction paper in between. They were a bit thick for the laminator though, so perhaps cute scrapbook paper would create a better seal around the edges.







8 comments:
Super cute Kelley! Simple but very useful!
Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher
I can never see docs that are embedded by Google. Grr....any suggestions? I would love to view your printables!
~ Mrs. Mc
http://littleliteracylearners.blogspot.com/
Hmm, Mrs.Mc. I guess I'm not sure. Are you having this problem on other blogs or just mine? I wonder if you need a google account to see them.
Kelley
It is across all blogs, it isn't just yours. I do have a Google account.
I just wrote a post on something completely unrelated, but I asked for suggestions about this at the bottom of my post. Hopefully someone out there can help me :o)
Thank you!
~ Mrs. Mc
Once again...awesome!! I had some like this at the beginning of the year from our reading program, but they were very boring. Yours are 100 times better. Thank you so much!!!
Krissy
Thanks so much Krissy!
I am not able to follow your link. Could you email me the cards at lcaldwell@boswellschools.org I would greatly appreciate it.
I would love these cards. Can you email me the cards? There was an error when I tried to open in my google account.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.