PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Exciting News...and quick spelling printable

I have some exciting news! Some of my parents nominated me for the Jared Polis Teacher Recognition Award and I was selected among 15 other teachers to be honored at an upcoming ceremony! I was shocked and touched that my parents felt that I deserved such an award. I will receive $1,000 for my school and $1,000 for my classroom! I have spent it on some great things for my kids in my mind already! While I have your attention I have a quick question...has anyone out there taken Advantage Math? I am thinking of taking the training this summer. I've heard great things about it at the primary level. Thanks.

Now on to the spelling task!

I have a large file tub in my classroom that has about ten various spelling practice tasks-of the paper and pencil nature. I introduce each task early in the school year and then leave the tub out as a spelling choice during Daily 5. My students can opt to use modeling clay, letter stamps, thin markers, letter links, magnetic letters, etc. to practice their spelling words or choose one of the tasks in the tub. I wanted to share one of  my third graders favorite one. It is called Cover, Copy, Recall. It isn't anything I invented. In fact the format came out of a compilation of spelling resources I stumbled across years ago, I just vamped it up a bit. You can either choose to print it out and copy a set for your kids or paste it to a colored file folder and send it through the laminator. Once you have done that, cut two slits up the front of the folder, creating three flaps so that students can cover up their words on the "Recall" section.

I have seen similar versions of this task used at all grade levels. My third graders love to work as a team and read each other the words like a partner test. Grab it if you can use it.


Seriously? Again with the extra blank page Kel?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Congratulations to you! That is pretty darn awesome!!
Primary Inspired

Jennyfer said...

Congratulations! How exciting for you and your students!

Amanda K. said...

Congratulations Kelley! That is awesome!

Krissy - 3rd Grade said...

Congrats...you truly deserve that award. I can tell just by your posts and the what you do in your classroom that you are an extraordinary teacher. Thanks for what you do for kids!

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks so much guys!

Kelley

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.