Really all that rambling up above is just a bit of background for ya as to where my literacy kit idea stemmed from. This past summer I created these literacy kits with a similar idea in mind to my literacy bags. I wanted something the kids could take home for practice. I filled them with high frequency reading and writing word activities that can be checked out on a weekly basis. I got these durable holders from Really Good Stuff this time around because I didn't want to decorate any more bags. I have four kits in total, two that focus on the second and third grade high frequency reading words and two that focus on the second and third high frequency words for writing. 
This is a shot of the folder I included in each kit. Each kit has a plastic folder with an informational letter about sight words for families. On the left you can see a class list peeking out behind the letter. I left it up to my third graders to pass the kits around so that I wouldn't have to keep track of them. I started by passing them out. That person checked off their name on the class list. When they brought them back to school, they passed them to the very next name on the class list, and so on and so forth. Some kids were able to breeze through the activities. Others were able to take them home multiple times throughout the year to change up their typical word practice at home. I included a numbered set of activities with directions in the plastic sleeves for families to refer to. All of the materials that were needed for the activities were included in the kit.

The two reading word kits also include a plastic folder filled with fluency phrases. The phrases are made up of lots of third grade words. Kids can practice reading them with expression for accuracy and speed.
This is what the fluency phrases look like...nothing cute, but it works!
Here are some of the informational sheets and directions to the activities that I use in my folders, as well as the labels I used. They might provide you with a starting point if you are interested in creating some for your room.







12 comments:
This is wonderful! I have used a book I bind and send home at the beginning of the year, but I like this better. Thank you for sharing.
Kelley, I love this!!! These are the bags I use for my Daily 5 book bags vs. boxes. Mine aren't see through. I like the see through better. I could keep track of my book hoarders a lot easier. I so appreciate your wonderful ideas and your willingness to share them!!
Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher
OMG...I was just thinking of what to do with all my extra books that I don't necessarily want to put out because they are lower. Thank you so much. You are truly my favorite 3rd grade blogger right now. I love all of your ideas and I visit your blog daily! :)
Krissy
Kelley,
Once again I am borrowing something from your amazing blog! I am definitely using this for next year! I appreciate you posting the informational sheets and directions. Your willingness to share is amazing! Thank you!
Amanda
thirdgradeexperience.blogspot.com
I'm loving this idea!! I have tubs of picture books that worked for my firsties, but not my 3rd graders!!! Sounds like a good summer project! Thanks so much for sharing this fab idea!! :)
I am definately putting a star on this in google reader and going back to it later when I've got some more time! Please take a look at my new blog! I have your button on my sidebar!
Thanks, Nancy The Apple Basket Teacher
I'm so glad you guys liked this idea. My kids absolutely loved getting them at the start of the year so I recently put together some multiplication and division packs that are currently rotating around my room. The kids love them! Thanks so much for checking out my blog.
Kelley
Thank you, I have recently been looking for info about
this topic for a while and yours is the best I've came upon till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the supply?
Here is my web blog : I need to sell my house PA
Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post!
It is the little changes that produce the
greatest changes. Many thanks for sharing!
Feel free to surf my homepage free chatting websites
Hi my friend! I want to say that this article is amazing,
great written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to look more
posts like this .
My web-site ; government mortgage help
Malaysia & Singapore & brunei ideal online blogshop for wholesale & supply korean
accessories, accessories, earstuds, locket, rings, bangle, hair & bracelet
add-ons. Offer 35 % wholesale rebate. Ship Worldwide
Feel free to visit my web page unemployment.ohio.gov
I think everything published was actually very
logical. But, what about this? what if you added a little information?
I ain't saying your information is not good., but suppose you added a title that makes people want more? I mean "Literacy Kits" is kinda plain. You could look at Yahoo's front page and see how they
create article headlines to grab people to open the links.
You might add a related video or a picture or two to grab readers interested about everything've written. In my opinion, it could make your website a little bit more interesting.
Feel free to surf my web-site - click the up coming web page
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.