PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, April 18, 2011

Syllable Practice

The reading program that I use as a resource has a very strong vocabulary component that I love-partly because this was an area that I felt I was lacking in instruction. The program introduces 5 new vocabulary words each week that are used in the content stories we read. The reading program provides teachers with ideas for games that allow the students time to practice using the words in discussion as well as in writing. I added on a few dictionary tasks (3rd grade skill in my curriculum) throughout the week (locate and write the definition, part of speech and guide words, etc.) and I just made this syllable task (another skill in my curriculum) to be completed mid-way through the week once the students know the words.

I introduce syllabication as a spelling and reading strategy early on in the school year because the syllabication rules are a bit tricky for third graders. I used to teach first grade and always taught my firsties to use "robot talk"- put your hands up to your chin, say the word like a robot and count the number of times your chin touches your hand. I stuck with that and my third graders loved it! It's great for kinesthetic learners and at this point in the school year, no one needs to do the "robot" anymore. But, to help them remember how to separate words into syllables, I created this robot syllable practice page. You can have your kiddos use any words that you like, although I chose to use our 5 new vocabulary words because they are often multisyllabic. I use it as part of my students morning work each week. I think that repeated practice with syllabication will help the patterns and rules become more evident.



I seriously need to get better about noticing the extra white page in all my documents. Have a great week! I feel a linky party coming on...


90 comments:

Dana said...

Love it!

Krissy - 3rd Grade said...

This is wonderful!! I can't wait to use it. As always, you rock!!

Amanda K. said...

Thanks Kelley! What other vocabulary games or activities do you do?

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

I've heard of putting your hand by your chin for syllables, but I LOVE the idea of saying it like a robot! My kids will love that, thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

I truly love your site.. Excellent colors & theme.
Did you develop this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm planning to create my own blog and would like to learn where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Thanks!
Also visit my web page :: ways to Make money on internet

Anonymous said...

I almost never leave a response, however i did a few searching and wound up here "Syllable Practice".
And I do have some questions for you if you do not mind. Could it be only me or does it
look like some of these remarks appear like written by brain dead folks?
:-P And, if you are posting on additional social sites, I'd like to follow anything new you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of all your shared pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?
My homepage - seneca discount cigarettes . electronic cigarette supplies offer you one of the lowest discount cigarette prices! " src="http://static.blucigs.com/skin/frontend/blucigs/default/images/banner-starte...

Anonymous said...

It's not my first time to pay a visit this site, i am browsing this site dailly and take pleasant data from here every day.
My page - options trading classes

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post and also the rest of the site is very good.
Have a look at my page :: best online casino sites

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Its actually awesome post, I have got much
clear idea on the topic of from this article.
my page - play online slots for fun - click to find out more

Anonymous said...

In fact when someone doesn't know after that its up to other visitors that they will assist, so here it takes place.
Look at my web page ... online real money casino

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my
blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your design.
With thanks
Feel free to visit my web site ... on line slot

Anonymous said...

Hurrah, that's what I was searching for, what a data! present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this web site.
Also visit my site : play slots online for real money

Anonymous said...

What's up, its fastidious article on the topic of media print, we all understand media is a fantastic source of facts.
My website real money slots online

Anonymous said...

Right away I am going away to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming again to read
additional news.
Here is my site ; play slots online for free with bonus games

Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague
who has been conducting a little research on this.
And he in fact ordered me dinner because I stumbled upon it for him.

.. lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!
! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to discuss this subject here
on your blog.
Also visit my website - real online slots for money

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different page and
thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now
i am following you. Look forward to going over your web page for a second time.
Feel free to visit my blog :: play casino slots for real money

Anonymous said...

Link exchange is nothing else except it is only placing
the other person's web site link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do same in favor of you.
My blog post : Free online slots win real money

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic that you are getting thoughts from this article as well as from our discussion made here.
Feel free to visit my homepage online slots money

Anonymous said...

Hello Dear, are you in fact visiting this web page regularly, if so then you will without doubt take pleasant
know-how.
Here is my website ; play games on your mobile phone

Anonymous said...

you are actually a just right webmaster. The site loading pace is amazing.
It seems that you're doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a magnificent activity in this topic!
Also visit my homepage play roulette online real money

Anonymous said...

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not
writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
Feel free to visit my website : work from home online part time

Anonymous said...

Awesome issues here. I am very glad to peer your post.
Thank you a lot and I am taking a look ahead to touch you.
Will you please drop me a mail?
My site > online stock trading newsletter

Anonymous said...

It's actually a cool and helpful piece of information. I'm
glad that you shared this useful information with us.

Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Stop by my homepage :: geld durch umfragen verdienen

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This blog post couldn't be written much better! Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept preaching about this. I most certainly will forward this information to him. Pretty sure he will have a very good read. Many thanks for sharing!
my webpage :: online casino united states

Anonymous said...

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of
valuable knowledge about unexpected feelings.
Stop by my blog top online casinos usa

Anonymous said...

Hello, Neat post. There's a problem together with your web site in internet explorer, might check this? IE nonetheless is the market leader and a large element of folks will pass over your wonderful writing because of this problem.
Stop by my web-site - schnell geld verdienen

Anonymous said...

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice
whilst you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a weblog site?
The account helped me a applicable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast provided shiny clear concept
Visit my web blog : traderush

Anonymous said...

What's up Dear, are you really visiting this web site on a regular basis, if so then you will absolutely get fastidious experience.
Also visit my webpage : top 100 ways to make money online

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing problems with your website.
It appears like some of the written text in your posts
are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and
let me know if this is happening to them as well? This might be a issue with my browser because I've had this happen previously. Thanks
my web page - which stocks To buy

Anonymous said...

It's actually very difficult in this active life to listen news on Television, so I only use the web for that purpose, and take the most recent information.
My page ; free online stock trading

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your
blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.

But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people
could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only
having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?
My web-site : personal loan for bad credit

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Lots of helpful information here. I am sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in
delicious. And obviously, thanks for your sweat!
Feel free to surf my blog : how to make quick easy money online

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have got here.. It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!
Feel free to visit my website :: small unsecured personal loans

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended
up losing a few months of hard work due to no back up.
Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?
My web-site : home exchange

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Finding the time and actual effort to make a good article… but what
can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never seem to
get anything done.
Look into my web site valid work from home opportunities

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd figured I'd ask.
Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
My website addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and
I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!
Also visit my webpage - earn make money online

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this excellent read!
! I certainly enjoyed every bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to check out new things you post…
Also visit my homepage ; forex trading school

Anonymous said...

I visited multiple web pages however the audio feature for audio songs existing at this web page is actually wonderful.
Review my weblog - how to make a lot of money fast

Anonymous said...

I visited multiple web pages however the audio feature for audio songs existing
at this web page is actually wonderful.
my page: how to make a lot of money fast

Anonymous said...

I could not resist commenting. Perfectly written!
Take a look at my web site ... earn real money online

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Los angeles! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get
home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .
. Anyhow, very good blog!
Also visit my blog : unsecured personal loans rates

Anonymous said...

I pay a visit every day some sites and sites to read posts, except this blog
offers quality based posts.
Feel free to visit my web site how To Make lots of money fast

Anonymous said...

Excellent way of explaining, and nice piece of writing to get facts on the topic of my presentation focus, which i am going to present in
college.
Here is my website : uk Personal secured loan

Anonymous said...

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed
to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.
I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about
worries that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
Check out my web-site :: 5000 personal loan

Anonymous said...

This information is worth everyone's attention. Where can I find out more?
Review my web site ; how to make money easy and fast

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Spending some time and
actual effort to generate a great article… but what
can I say… I put things off a lot and never manage to get nearly
anything done.
Take a look at my website ; payday loans instant

Anonymous said...

What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping
to give a contribution & aid other customers like its aided me.
Great job.
Feel free to visit my webpage - how to earn online money

Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog is great i really like reading your posts.
Keep up the good work! You already know, lots of people
are searching around for this information, you could aid them greatly.
Here is my website : how to make easy fast money

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog
like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it
Here is my blog cash advance and payday loans

Anonymous said...

Wow! In the end I got a webpage from where I know how to
really take useful facts concerning my study and knowledge.
Feel free to surf my website business analyst work from home

Anonymous said...

Appreciation to my father who informed me on the topic of this blog, this blog is really remarkable.
Also visit my blog post ... how to make money working online

Anonymous said...

Why viewers still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe the whole thing is existing on web?
Here is my weblog ... how to make extra money

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I
thought this post was great. I don't know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!
Here is my blog post ; cash advance direct lenders no teletrack

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You're incredible!
Thanks!
Take a look at my webpage ; cash advance cincinnati

Anonymous said...

Thanks for every other informative web site. Where else may just I
get that type of info written in such an ideal way?
I've a challenge that I am simply now running on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.
Also see my site - personal loans for people with bad credit not payday loans

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you're talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my web site =). We could have a hyperlink change arrangement among us
Also visit my homepage ; what can i do to make money from home

Anonymous said...

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the great spirit.
Feel free to visit my site advance cash fast loan

Anonymous said...

Great article.
Here is my blog post - advance cash instant

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?

I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing
very good gains. If you know of any please share. Kudos!
Also visit my web page ; personal loan company

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this excellent blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your
RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to
brand new updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group.
Talk soon!
My blog post ; personal loan cash advance

Anonymous said...

Hi there every one, here every one is sharing such knowledge,
so it's nice to read this web site, and I used to pay a visit this website everyday.
Feel free to surf my webpage : small unsecured personal loans

Anonymous said...

magnificent post, very informative. I wonder
why the opposite specialists of this sector do not understand this.
You should proceed your writing. I'm sure, you've a great readers' base already!
My web blog ; advance cash loan online

Anonymous said...

Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.
My homepage payday loans los angeles

Anonymous said...

This paragraph will help the internet people for creating new web site or even a weblog from start to end.
My web blog - how can i make money online

Anonymous said...

Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was
extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying
your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for beginner blog writers? I'd really appreciate it.
Here is my web-site : bank personal loans

Anonymous said...

I was able to find good info from your content.
Also visit my web blog ; how To make money working online

Anonymous said...

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet
the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you,
I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
Have a look at my blog - how to Make money from home Fast

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a enjoyment account it.

Glance complex to more delivered agreeable from you! By the way, how could we keep
in touch?
Here is my website : cedar finance binary options

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good writeup. It in truth was a enjoyment account it.
Look complex to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we
keep in touch?
My homepage self employed payday loans

Anonymous said...

I read this post completely on the topic of the difference of
latest and preceding technologies, it's awesome article.
Also visit my web-site money slots online

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you are getting ideas from this post as well as from our dialogue made here.
My webpage casinos united states

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
You have done a marvellous job!
Here is my web-site ... Work From Home Data Capturing More Suggestions

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that
I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
Also visit my blog ; learn to play craps online

Anonymous said...

At this time I am going to do my breakfast, when
having my breakfast coming over again to read further news.
my page :: Play slots for money

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its truly awesome piece of writing, I have got much clear idea about from this post.
Visit my website - real slots online

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous story there. What happened after? Take care!
Here is my page ... online job search

Anonymous said...

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I in
finding this topic to be actually something which I think
I'd by no means understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely extensive for me. I am taking a look forward on your next post, I'll try to get the dangle of it!
Also visit my web page : top stock trading software

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established
blog. Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate it
Feel free to visit my blog post ... binary options trading strategy

Anonymous said...

I comment whenever I like a article on a site or if I have something to add to the conversation.
Usually it is caused by the passion communicated in the article I looked at.
And on this article "Syllable Practice". I was excited enough to drop
a thought ;) I do have some questions for you if you tend not to mind.
Is it only me or do a few of the remarks come across like left by brain dead individuals?
:-P And, if you are writing at additional places, I'd like to follow anything new you have to post. Could you make a list all of all your public pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
Here is my homepage how to make quick money from home

Anonymous said...

Very quickly this web page will be famous among all blogging and site-building users, due
to it's pleasant content
Also see my web site: how to make money online at home

Anonymous said...

I don't create a ton of responses, but after looking at a few of the remarks on this page "Syllable Practice". I actually do have some questions for you if you do not mind. Is it simply me or do a few of these comments come across like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on additional places, I would like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Could you make a list of all of your social networking sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
Feel free to surf my blog post : legitimate ways to make extra money

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you
wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little
bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog.
A great read. I'll definitely be back.
Take a look at my web-site how to make alot of money fast

Anonymous said...

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web
site is wonderful, as well as the content!
Here is my blog World Trade Center Gold

Anonymous said...

I drop a leave a response each time I especially enjoy a article on a website or if I
have something to add to the discussion. It's triggered by the passion displayed in the article I looked at. And on this article "Syllable Practice". I was actually excited enough to post a thought :-) I do have 2 questions for you if you don't mind.
Is it just me or do a few of these comments come across like left by brain dead folks?

:-P And, if you are writing on additional online social sites, I would
like to keep up with you. Would you list the complete urls of your
community pages like your Facebook page, twitter
feed, or linkedin profile?
Also visit my web blog ... trade binary options

Anonymous said...

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity concerning unpredicted emotions.
Feel free to surf my blog post ... work at home based business opportunity

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick
shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
Thanks!
Here is my web page ... No Fee Online Jobs Work From Home

Anonymous said...

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your site unintentionally, and I am stunned why this twist of fate didn't took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
Feel free to surf my website - Best Jobs Online

Anonymous said...

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using
for this website? I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
Visit my web blog : easy ways to earn money fast

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.

I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of
your useful info. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely comeback.
Visit my webpage ... day trading 101

Anonymous said...

It's an remarkable paragraph designed for all the internet users; they will get benefit from it I am sure.
Also see my web site - my options scam

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.