
We all know what its like to feel the pressure of teaching all of the skills and concepts we need to teach in a given time frame. Sometimes it feels as though there is never a second to spare in the classroom. Quick transitions, on to the next subject, etc. The saying "there is never enough hours in the day" is certainly true for teachers.
On the flip side, there is that pull that teachers feel to really stay with one skill and help our students master it before moving on...but we know that we must push forward and use every second we can to reteach and provide as many opportunities for authentic practice in our classrooms as we can.
A few years ago as I completed my masters program, I found myself up late at night studying for a test using black and white, printed out PowerPoint slides that a professor had given us in class. It was difficult to do. They were drab and boring to look at and nothing struck me visually so of course I doodled all over it with my teacher pens-highlighting important terms, adding questions along the side. I'm sure you all know exactly what I'm talking about.
Now fast forward to last year, when I realized that I was asking my students to recall details that I had taught and provided practice in the classroom with, but I wasn't giving them the opportunity to review outside of class time. Why not? I had all of those opportunities as a student. I decided to create colorful PowerPoints for each major unit of study, even the ones I don't give formal assessments on. I was so pleased with myself when the first one was ready. I booked some time in the computer lab, brought my class down and showed them how to study with the slideshow. It was towards the end of the school day and I had a parent friend who was in the building who happened to see what we were doing. She told me that it sure would be great if she could review with her son a few days each week to help him get a grasp on the material. I realized that I could easily post a PowerPoint to my classroom site or blog for families to access throughout the unit to help review and extend their children's learning at home. It has been a huge success with my students and families. Parents want to help their children succeed and I believe that giving them the opportunity to do even more with their children at home is a step in the right direction.
The great thing about creating PowerPoints for review is that once you do it, its done and you may only need to do a tiny bit of tweaking each year. You can always have them up on the computer during Daily 5 for students to review at school if they don't have access to a computer at home. Also, PowerPoints are easy to create and they are user friendly to even our youngest scholars! Our kids do love to spend time on the computer these days, why not make it time spent learning! With Earth Day just a few days down the road, what better way is there to save a tree and post your classroom review!







3 comments:
What a fabulous idea! Is there any way you might post an example of one of your units so that I could get a feel for what you include in one. I really like this idea. I am not tech savy in any way, but I can do ppt. Thanks so much!
Hi Krissy,
No problem. Check out this link from my classroom website. Scroll to the bottom of the page and check out Literacy theme 7 or 8 because I recently moved my class site from teacherpages.com as a host to my mac and I never reposted the old ppts.
Link:
http://www.mrsrandallsclass.com/TeamRandall/Video_PowerPoints.html
Thanks so much for reading!
Kelley
Thanks so much!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.