I created a set of task cards that I require my students to use to guide a short discussion with whoever listened to the book with them (I have two sets of headphones at my listen to reading center). Just print them out in color, put a backing of construction paper or scrapbook paper for durability and send them through the laminator. Next, cut them out and three hold punch each card in the top left corner. String them all together with a binder ring and place them at your listening center.
I modeled how to use the cards after a few read alouds I did with my students during instruction and them set them loose! It took a while for the kids to understand that they both needed to respond to the questions and say more than a one word answer, but as the year progressed I could hear my students discussions developing into great conversations. Some groups still meticulously go through each card, while others get stuck on one that both students have a lot to say about and only have time to get through a few. Either way, they were a great and simple addition to our listen to reading station.
I do think that this set of task cards are more suited for fiction so I'll need to make a set for activating schema prior to reading, etc. for the nonfiction books that I place at my listen to reading station.








4 comments:
LOVE!! I always feel like I don't have enough 'meat' in my listening center. These are great!! Thanks!
Thank you for these cards...I've been looking for something to spice up my listening center!! Have you developed any ones for the nonfiction books you mentioned...I would love to see those, too!
Thank you for sharing your gifts and talents!
Merritt
How can I get a copy of these cards? They look wonderful!
This is much better than filling out a sheet!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.