PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Multiplication Packs


Using the same style idea of my literacy kits (you can read about that post here), I created two multiplication and division kits to send home with my 3rd graders to help them build up their fact power. I had this idea earlier in the year but I just didn't get around to it until Spring break. I'm so glad that I did! My class is loving all of the different activities that make that ol' drill and kill practice a little more engaging. I didn't want to purchase any more of those great plastic backpacks from Really Good Stuff so I grabbed the reusable grocery bags from Target for $1.00 each. Then I made big tags for each bag, laminated them, punched a whole through one corner and hung it on the handle with a binder ring.


 I unpacked the kits to snap some picture samples of what I included in them. I have laminated games I made, some from a Lakeshore Learning math game book that I had, some from the Everyday Math program I use, tile games from Really Good Stuff, fact triangles and lace up fact rings.
 In each multiplication pack, I included a folder with a informational letter for parents as well as directions for the various activities. You can see a flipped over sheet of white paper in the pocket as well-that is my class list. After one student uses the kit for a few days, they check off their name and pass it on to the next student on the list. This is an easy way to keep the packs moving without having to check them in each time. Every now and then I do a check to see where they are and to check the inventory. If you teach younger graders, you could create fact power kits for addition and subtraction. You may need to check them in and out yourself though.
Directions to the activities in one of the kits

Here is a copy of the letter and directions I included with my kits. Hopefully you can use these, or just use them as a starting point for creating some kits for your kiddos. Keep scrolling down in google docs for the directions...I don't know why I didn't realize there was a blank piece of paper there.  Have a great weekend...I don't have school Friday so I am planning a jammy filled, blog reading morning where I actually consume a cup of coffee in its entirety! 







12 comments:

Mrs. Patton said...

Oh wow, this is a neat idea. Do you send them home with each child?

Colleen Patton
Mrs. Patton’s Patch

A Southern Magnolia said...

Hello Mrs. Randall! What delightful take home packs to practice multiplication and division! Do you have your multiplication games available for purchase or download? Please let me know if so! quotesfromthequeen@gmail.com

Mrs. Randall said...

Hi Colleen, I only made two but I send them home on a weekly rotation so that everyone gets a chance with them. They were such a big hit though so I am planning on making some more this summer so I am all stocked up for the kids next year.

Queen, I don't sell anything on tPt and I will have to look for the ones I made on my school computer. I really only made a few that were based off of games that was introduced in the Everyday Math program. Some of the take and make math center books available commercially have been a great resource for games to go in these kits though!

Kelley

Julie said...

I was just talking about this with a co-worker!! I love this idea and I excited about putting it to work! I'm going to be ordering more bags from Really Good Stuff!!
Thanks for all your awesome ideas!!

Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

Amanda K. said...

Yet another great idea! This will be something I work on making this summer! I'm thinking 4 would be enough. Thanks again for all your wonderful ideas!

Amanda
thirdgradeexperience.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

I love this! This will definitely be one of my summer projects, thank you so much!! :)

Kristen
Ladybug's Teacher Files

Kris Hughes said...

I love it! I'm definitely going to do this! Thanks for sharing!

Marie@Procrastinating in Pink said...

LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for sharing!!

cbrown said...

I love the idea! I will be looping with my students and teaching 3rd grade next year. I will definitely use this. For some reason though, I was unable to view the google document on your blog....Not sure if others were having this same problem. It may just be my computer.

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks guys! I'm so glad you can use this. Christen, I've heard of others having this problem too, not just on my site but on other blogs as well. I thought maybe you needed to have a google account but that doesn't seem to be the culprit. Sorry...I can email the docs to you.

Kelley

Unknown said...

Such great ideas for students who struggle with multiplication. I can even use these in 4th grade. This past year I used math logs which seemed to help a lot! BTW- how do you get the scrolling pages within your blog? I'm using Word and paint, but it's just not what I want.

Terri
www.the-creative-apple.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

The Doc Johnson Monique Alexander Pussy Pocket Pal is cast from the woman herself and makes the perfect companion.
You don't even need to buy it dinner first.. Marketing materials here are several important tips that are the one in account before sending the. Tonight is Night Out by Little Man Ice ios iPhone j2ee aj lee .... Anal pocket pals or anal masturbators as they are often called are handy sex toys you can use to fulfill your hot anal sex fantasies. They are modeled to ....
My webpage : pocket pussy

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.