
Hi blogging buddies, sorry I have been missing in action lately. I have finally felt the stress of packing my classroom and getting ready to relocate to a mobile. That, combined with all of the other end of the year fun stuff such as report cards, field day, nighttime concerts and my own son's graduation, I pretty much flopped on the couch and zoned out after my boys were asleep. I have been catching up on my own blog reading all day!

As I was preparing for the Fall by printing out this set of graphs (grab them below) that I have my third graders complete in August, I realized that they might also make a great end of the year activity. In the Fall, I pair my students up by having them pick a dum dum lollipop out of a cute bucket. Then they find their flavor match (just make sure you have two of each flavor and make enough groups for your whole class) and start polling their classmates. It gets loud but who cares! It is a fun and interactive way for kids to get to know one another and review how to take and record data. Here it is the end of the year and we just wrapped up a unit on data landmarks. I think that I will have my kids complete these graphs once more (obviously they will be way more efficient the second time around, right?) but the focus will be on taking data landmarks on their graphs after all of the data collection. For example, I will have each group find the median (middle value), mode (most frequent response) and the big challenge...the mean (average). This will be more data than they have worked with in the past but I think it will be great to see how their small groups attack the challenge!

4 comments:
Love the graphs!! Great for first grade, too. Thanks for sharing...for free. Love your blog design, as well!!
First Grade Factory
What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing :)
Hey Mrs. Randall, I love this idea! Thank you for sharing it. I can't believe you have 4 days left, lucky girl! Good luck finishing everything and happy almost summer! :)
Kristen
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.