This year I tried something new that I loved! I premade all of my spelling lists for the year in the form of flashcards that can be sorted. I wanted to have a sort available for my students to do each week during Daily 5 time. I had this cute little stand and mini pocket chart lying around so I put it to good use. I propped it up right on top of my Daily 5 tubs which hold my materials. You can read more about my Daily 5 organization here.
At first I was storing all of the cards (36 weeks of cards!) in little baggies, but then I came across this mini file system at where else...Target. I just labeled each tab with a spelling week number and popped the cards in. My kids can change them out each week as I tend to forget. After the cards have been sorted, kids can then take them out of the pocket chart and use them to practice their words in their spelling journals, on spelling tiles, or to give practice tests to their buddies.
My goal for next year is to create another set for later in the week that follow similar spelling rules and patterns but allow kids to apply it to new words.







1 comments:
Excellent! Brilliant idea.
Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.