
OK, it is official. I have started thinking about some things that I would like to improve upon and change up a little for next year. Time4Kindergarten is having a linky party so that teachers can share some of their ideas to help make our transition back into the classroom in the Fall nice and easy.
Here are some of the things that I do every year:
1. To-Do List: I keep a to do list on my computer desktop so that when I am blog hopping, checking email, etc. I can take a bit of time to create/redo something to stash on my flashdrive so that I can take it to school and print it off in color. When one item is completed, I delete it from the list.
2. Print/Laminate: Every so often I bring my flashdrive to school, print off some items such as new bathroom passes or table tub numbers (snag a copy below), and then laminate and cut them so they are ready for the Fall.
3. Classroom Configuration: I start thinking about how to rearrange my classroom for the Fall. I'm having a hard time this year though because I really liked how I set it up this year and I'm not certain that I will make too many changes.
4. Labels: I adhere labels to construction paper folders for back to school night that have my classroom info. and my classroom website address on them. I've got them all printed off for next years group already.
5. Messy Tubs: On the last day of school, I have my current kids use Clorox wipes to clean out their independent reading tubs and a few of my library tubs so they can be stored over the summer and I won't need to clean them in the Fall (other than a quick dusting).
6. Questionnaire: I create a classroom questionnaire for my kids to use to rank certain units of study and management items on how useful they were. I also create one for my parents to fill out for me to help me plan and tweak my plans/ homework packets, etc. over the summer for next year. Ii is always very helpful to see how your parents and kids felt about your homework and classroom management. Sometimes they have great ideas for change that I never thought of!
7. Welcome Brochures: I create a welcome brochure for my current class to fill out for my next years class. They love getting them on back to school night. I always include a section on what units of study we have in third grade, field trips they will get to take, and some things they must know about me, Mrs. Randall. They always say silly things that put my new kids at ease, such as "if she seems grumpy, she just needs a hug and a few more sips of her coffee." Of course, I am never grumpy though! Geesh!
I'm sticking with my team theme for next year so I created these team number labels to adhere to little supply caddies I place on student table teams. Maybe you can use them if you do a team theme as well...
Here is a copy of my bathroom passes. I laminate them and cut them out. Then I stick them in those clear plastic picture frames you can find at Target and Walmart. When kids need to use the restroom, they place the appropriate frame on their desk. This ensure only two students go to the restroom at a time, one girl and one boy. Also, if I have to leave my room quickly for a fire dirll, I can take a quick scan of the desks to see if someone is in the restroom. The frames stand up on the desks and make it easy to see who is out of the classroom.







14 comments:
Thanks for joining the Linky party. I too used to take my flash drive back and forth to print, but now I either save to google docs or Dropbox and no more flash drive to remember.
I love all the ideas!! I've never had a class theme. Maybe I should do the team theme then I could look to you for help/ideas. I love the idea of putting your bathroom pass in the pic frame!! That is so visual and easy! You are full of wonderful ideas as usual!!
Do you have copies of you back to school brochures?
Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher
Thanks guys! I do have copies Julie, and I'd be happy to post them but they are specific to my name right now. When I have some time, I'll make then more generic so they can be used by others. I'm booked with bday parties and soccer games this weekend but I'll get to it soon. Have a great weekend.
Kelley
I love the team theme. Just So Scrappy has football and baseball graphics for 75 cent until tomorrow. They are sooooo cute. Thanks for sharing!
Primary Graffiti
I love the way you do your bathroom passes! I am SO borrowing this idea! I also have never had a theme, but am thinking of doing a robot theme for next year. This post inspires me to revamp some of my signage for next year. Thanks for sharing!
Primary Inspired
I'd love to see your classroom & parent questionnaires!
Primary Inspired
I also thought of doing a parent questionnaires-would love to see what you have made up!
roden26@gmail.com
Love the team theme! We have an ice cream parlor theme in my classroom. Thanks for sharing your list of things for next year. I need to get workin'. Ha!
Kimberly
Funky First Grade Fun
Kelly, Thanks for these great tips! I am just becoming a follower from TBA, and love these ideas. I too am beginning to think of next year, especially since my class assistant position is being taken away due to funding. I want to get lists going so that next year can run smoothly without her around! Can't wait to check out other things you have on your blog! Thanks again!
You are fantastic & a super teacher. I mean I have no clue as to what to get ready for next year, right now. I do all that over the summer. Thank you for helping me get my head around the fact that I SHOULD be preparing for August now. :)
Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan
I love them team number labels. They are too cute!
Can I see what your parent questionnaires look like?
Thanks! skaiser@kokomo.k12.in.us
Kelley....I am a beginning teacher (going to start with 2nd grade in the fall!), and I'm loving all of your ideas! ...Since I'm a newbie to all of this, where do you find all of your great clip art?!
Keep the ideas coming, I'll keep reading!
Thanks,
Chelsea
Hi Chelsea,
I get all of my clipart from either Thistle Girl Designs or Scrapping Doodles. Thanks for following!
Kelley
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.