First of all, let me just shout this from the rooftop real quick...
OK, back to business.
We've all heard that kids who do absolutely no skill work over the summer can sometimes lose up to 6 months of learning. Super Yikes! I'm sure we've also noticed that this really happens to some kiddos. Our librarian always puts together a great summer reading list for kids in our school and the public library also has some great reading programs and incentives to keep kids noses in books. This year I even have some of my own ideas about keeping my class excited about reading this summer (more to come on that in a later post).I asked myself this question as I was thinking about summer learning opportunities for my kids. There are no easy solutions for keeping our kids engaged in math over the summer unless their parents actively include them in household financial planning, building backyard gardens, etc. Not all kids will have these rich opportunities to use authentic math, so I created a calendar for June and July which provides a quick math activity or skill to practice for each day of the month. I wanted to provide some buy in for my kids as well so I told them that if they got a parent signature anywhere on the calendar(s) they could come visit me in the Fall with their signed calendar(s) for a special back to school smarty pants surprise.
These calendars were created to maintain basic 3rd grade skills but they may work for high 2nd graders as well. The font looks small here but it is really a normal size.
Only a few more weeks until summer! We can do it!









8 comments:
This is AWESOME! My team and I were talking about this today, except it was a reading collaboration. It would be great for the kids to bring it back to us in the fall signed off!
Megan
oceanoflearners.blogspot.com
What a great idea! I'm looking forward to your post about summer reading activities.
Angelia
extraspecialteaching.blogspot.com
LOVE this! Do you include a parent letter? If so, would you mind sharing that, too? Thank you!!!
*marcy.colwell@k12.sd.us
Super cute Math calendars! I use monthly Math calendars already, but never thought to send them home with the kids in the summer. Duh! Thanks for sharing!
Dana
http://3rdgradegridiron.blogspot.com/
Thanks Kelley!! You rock - as usual!! I'm also looking forward to the reading for summer. I messed with my blog decor as well and I'm not so sure how long until I change it again. I don't know if it confuses followers but there are just too many to try on!
Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher
I totally agree with Julie about your awesomeness! This is wonderful!!! I am definitely sending this home with the kiddos in their final report card! Thanks for always sharing!
Amanda
Third Grade Experience
Hi ladies! Thanks so much for the good vibes...you rock too! I don't include a parent letter, but I do include a little blurb about the calendars in my final newsletter. Hopefully I can find some time to fix up my blog. I'm bummed though because I added some code to number my comments and I'll have to redo all of that.
Kelley
Thank you for sharing the calendars. They are perfect!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.