PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Write Night Journals



My third graders aren't required to write a friendly letter but they were a required writing product for them when they were second graders. I have found that while they remember the format, they tend to forget how to apply it when writing letters for book responses, which they are required to write in third grade. I wanted to provide lots of opportunities for my students to practice writing proper letter format as it is an extremely important skill so I created Write Night Journals for my students.

Originally I called them Third Grade Journals, but I liked the way Write Night sounded better so I switched it this year. Each month I require my students to write a friendly letter to a family member (using the paper I include in the folder) discussing important events in school. The first few letters are done with support from me in class. We brainstorm ideas to include in our letters that capture the events of the month. Then I allow my students time to begin their letters. I remind them of the the second grade requirements, so that I don't get any two liners. As the year progresses, they become pretty independent with their letters and we even discuss new requirements that we decide upon as a class, such as underline book titles if you use one in your letter, use commas when listing, and capitalize proper nouns. These are just a few examples that worked for my class as they are conventions that I expect them to use in their daily writing by the end of the school year.

When their letters are completed, they send them home for their families to read and respond to (using the response paper I include in the folder). This allows families to take a peek into our classroom from home and learn about what their kids thought was important for the month. It allows provides my students with the opportunity to have real correspondence modeled from an audience that is important to them. The best part about the Write Night Journals is that students and their families have a great keepsake memory of their third grade year!

I set the Write Night Journal up for the entire year so that each student letter is followed by the parent letter for that month. I tried to have kids add a new letter each month but it was a pain so I decided that it was worth my time in the Fall to prepare the folders ahead of time.

I chose not to grade the letters for content, so I didn't include a rubric. However, I always took a homework grade and a writing conventions grade. I gave families two weeks to read and respond to their students letters. If you are interested in taking a peek at how I present it to families, view this link to a page on my classroom website with more details.

Finally, here is a copy of the student and parent response letter template that I use with my class. Grab it if you can use it! But wait, that is not all I have to say in this post...scroll down for details about my giveaway.




Also, don't forget about my big...


Some lucky winner will receive a $25.00 gift card to use at one of my favorite home stores.



See the post below for details!

13 comments:

Ms.M said...

Thanks for sharing. I love the new blog design. Very cute.

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan

Julie said...

I so love your new look!! I want one for my very own but I'm worried. Congrats on your followers! You have really soared.

Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

Jennyfer said...

What a wonderful idea, I'm always looking for ways to be more interactive with my families. Love the new look!

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks so much ladies! I'm loving the new look too. It was a little present to myself. My families have really loved having this yearlong memory book to keep and it is very little work on my part.

Kelley

Mechele said...

I love the new look of your blog!
Barrow's Hodgepodge

Analia said...

What a great idea!! they are great for my Home school connection time!
Thanks

Jill said...

I like this idea too! During one of my clinicals while I was in college, the third grade teacher did something similar to this but she did it every Friday. She and the students would write a letter to their parents on the chalkboard and then they'd copy it into their journals. Their parents would write back over the weekend and send it back on Monday. I thought that was a great way to keep parents informed and involved! Great idea! :)

Magnificent Multiagers!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog.. thanks for sharing :)

Jennifer said...

Lovin the new look! And I love the idea of parents writing a letter back. Waaaay cute!

Tiffani said...

This looks great- I'll be sharing it with my former teacher partner who is still in 3rd. I may adapt it for K kids next year.
Tiffani
http://time4kindergarten.blogspot.com/

Nancy Wilson said...

I love your idea and I would love to try it next year. I ABSOLUTELY LLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEE your new look! :) It's great to have other 3rd grade teacher blogger out here in blogworld! I still need to post about your contest! Never enough time in the day! Thanks, Nancy
The Apple Basket Teacher

Melissa C. said...

Kelley-
I am using "teamwork" as my theme next year and incorporating all sports. I was looking at your "Write Night" basket. Did you apply the football to the front or did it come that way? I am looking for all kinds of sports related materials for my new classroom. Thanks!!

Mrs. Randall said...

Thanks so much guys! I love the new blog look so much too. Melissa, the write night basket was a lucky find at Target a few years back. I've always used them, but turned them backwards so you couldn't see the sports logos but it works when I do a team theme. I have a basketball one too. You could print cute soccer ball or other sports clipart and laminate and then adhere it to baskets to get the same look though.

Kelley

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.