Happy Monday everyone! Something is on my mind today...my sweet 5 1/2 year old has had a difficult year in private kindergarten. So difficult that we actually moved him with only a few weeks left. Today when I picked him up from his new school, his teacher told me what a kind hearted, smart, sweet and well mannered little guy he was and I totally broke down crying. I realized it had been way too long since a teacher who worked with him had said anything positive about him. I think I'll take this as a lesson when I talk to other parents about their children. These kids belong to someone...they are someone's entire world and they deserve to know how special their kids are on occasion. Thanks for listening...I just had to shout that from the rooftop! My baby is a good, smart boy!Happy early summer to us! I have 9 days of school left and I wanted to make sure that I sent my darling kiddos off with a special memory book this summer. When I taught first grade a few years back, I always had my parent volunteers bind memory books filled with handwriting samples, photos of special events, and special projects for a great end of the year memento. However now that I teach the big kids, I wanted them to have a mini year book in which they keep track of important events and most importantly, their friends special notes and signatures. I am tying up some loose ends with writing projects this week but next week in between field day and end of the year assemblies I will have my kids work on completing their third grade memory books.
This memory book is geared towards intermediate kids and provides lots of space for them to recall their most memorable moments this school year. I am happy to share it with all of you. I hope you have an outstanding last few weeks of school.
I found out today that I am moving into a mobil (we call them cabins...don't they sound so homey!) next year. I've always been fortunate to be in the building at the schools where I have worked. I would love to hear about how others make the most out the space they are given in a mobil, as well as tricks that have worked for you as far as sending kids in for bathroom use, etc. I struggle with change so I need to plan and think about classroom set up over the summer. I've decided that I will be purchasing all new borders (probably these ones) and fade-proof butcher paper from my local school supply store to make this move more appealing to myself. Maybe I'll throw in a new pair of shoes for myself too! Thanks everyone!







17 comments:
Hey- you should go to Angela Bunyi's video clip from forever ago when she was in a "cabin".
http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/video.jsp?pID=1649964945&bcpid=1649964945&bclid=5304232001&bctid=1711766999
Amanda
Third Grade Experience
Thanks so much for the link Amanda.
Kelley
Thanks for making this a free Download!!!! It is tooo cute!! ♥ it!;)
Little Warriors
Thanks for sharing all your great ideas! I'm so glad your little guy had a good day!
Glad to hear your child is in the care of a teacher who will see the "good" in all students; those little words make a huge difference for both students and parents. As a teacher, I understand how it can be difficult to find thatb"something" but the rewards are important.
Thanks for sharing this personal story with us.
Thanks for sharing this story. We all try to be positive with our kids, but it can be especially hard at the end of the year when we've reached the end of our rope.
My friend has done amazing things in her portable! At least you can staple into the walls in there! If I can get ahold of some of her pictures I'll email them on to you.
Cute memory book! :) Crazy that another year is coming to a close for all of us...
I love your memeory book. Thank you!
That really puts it in perspective. It is always nice to hear something good about your child :) Thanks for the memory book download! so cute!
Hadar
Miss Kindergarten
Thanks so very much for the memory book and sharing about YOUR darling! That must have been a tough decision to move him so late in the year, but what a confirmation that you did the right thing when you heard his new teacher's comments! Thanks, Nancy
The Apple Basket Teacher
I know EXACTLY how you feel. Once during a parent teacher conference for my "wiggly" one of 4 otherwise pretty good kids I got so discouraged hearing negative stuff on him that I decided then and there to become a teacher. I would NEVER sit and tell a parent all the bad. I would focus on what I noticed was good about them, their talents, even if it was only in P.E. or handwriting. You know? That same teacher never put his artwork up. She said there wasn't room. It was his talent too. So sad when teacher's miss their most important mission...to build kids up...whatever their strengths/weaknesses.
Thank your for sharing your story, and I'm so glad your son found a teacher who can appreciate him. I think that even very young children pick up on a teacher's attitude, so it is so important to truly care about and believe in our students.
Thanks for sharing the memory book. It looks great!
"Every child is somebody's baby." As a Navy wife I have moved and moved and moved! I have been blessed enough to get a job everywhere I go on the first interview and one principal told me it was because of my motto, "Every child is somebody's baby." The parent ALREADY knows the bad about their child...they live with them DAILY {& more so on WEEEEEEKENDS!} Always start with the positive and unless it is something that is a danger to other student, don't discuss it. The more you tell that child how wonderful they are, the more you tell the parent how wonderful their child is, the more that child will grow into the child you are telling them they are! Try it this next school year by remembering the feeling from your son's new kinder teacher....let your parents go home thinking you are a joy and their child is a joy...then as they start to misbehave or "get their card move" sympathize with the child by saying, I'm sorry you choose not to be the child I love and that I bragged about to your mother...try to get your act together and bring that wonderful child to school tomorrow. It WILL work and you have built a relationship with that child instead of yelling, punishing or being against that child {in their mind} ~ let every parent you have next year be as happy as you were when you made this post...you personally will have a wonderful year! :)
~Fern
Fern-Smith.Blogspot.com
PS....Portables, as we call them in Florida....You will love them, I've been in them my entire Florida career...you can control your own heat and AC. You can have your kids do all sorts of loud activities and not feel guilty!! You can go up on weekends and not worry about an alarm systems. We have our own bathrooms in the portables, which also means running water, some portables have water fountains too! We can open the front and back doors when it is breezy and they can partner read on the "porches" :)
Our negative is the distance we have to walk on concrete to the library, cafe, bus dismissal, etc....but I love my portable!
Anyway, everything is your frame of mind, tell yourself you will LOVE your cabin and then you will!
~Fern
Fern-Smith.Blogspot.com
I went to training this year that stressed for us to - Shine the light on what you want to grow!!
Focus on the positive and give the positive actions all the attention you can and they will grow! I keep a sticky with that on my laptop. I also use a cue to remind me to give praise. I know that sounds weird but it helps me to not get distracted down a negative path. I use the clock as my trigger. I'm so sorry your family had to struggle with that this year!
Thanks for the memory book and all your wonderful positive ideas!!
Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher
You will LOVE being in a portable! I was in a portable the past two years teaching 5th. They are moving me inside this year because I am switching to thrid. I LOVED being able to have my door open and get some fresh air, controlling the A/C, and you really feel like you are in your own world! :) My blog has pictures of my portable--go the the link and click pictures. Good luck!
http://mspowers1.blogspot.com/
Miss Powers, I just went and checked out your pictures! Your classroom is absolutely amazing. I especially love all of your matching signs. I assume they are from Vista Print because you have a link on your blog but I wondered....were the magnetic signs car door magnets? I loved them and want to try to make some of my own to fit my team theme. Thanks again!
Kelley
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.