PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Welcome Next Years Class in Style!


I recently posted about a few things that I do to prepare my classroom (and keep my sanity) in the Fall. But I also have my current class do some things to help welcome my next years class as well. Every Spring, my current third graders complete a welcome brochure (grab it below) for my new kids, explaining some of the highlights of third grade. I save them to put on my new students desks in the Fall, along with my back to school informational packet and some goodies from me. This brochure is by far my new students favorite thing...it seems to put them at ease to know all of the fun things that they have to look forward to. I usually encourage my kids to write something silly that they liked about me as a teacher this year in the the "one thing you need to know about your teacher" section, although they really don't need that much encouraging after all.

If you maintain a class website or class blog, you could also take a compiled list of the "highlights of third grade" that your current students write about at the end of the year and post them for your incoming kids to read about before school starts. You can view my classroom website post of what this might look like here.

Here is the brochure I use with my kids. In fact, we will be working on these next week.


I create a welcome bag for my kids as well-filled with goodies that I mentioned above. This is nothing I invented, but I did create a team themed letter to attach to the welcome bag. The bags look much better than a plain brown bag. Last year I found some team pennants and mini foam fingers to throw in the bags as well from Oriental Trading. The poem was not written by me, one my colleagues and I came across it a few years back and have been using ever since.


I also have my students write a letter to next years class interactively so that I have a great poster to hang up on my otherwise blank easel at back to school night. I let each student write their name when they sign it so it is a bit more personalized.

Lastly, I ask the teacher of the grade level above me (for me it would be fourth) to have their students write a "what to expect next year" style letter to my kids so that I can pass them on to my current kiddos on the last day of school.

I would love to hear about some things that you do to help welcome your kiddos back in the Fall.
Blogaholic Designs”=

9 comments:

Dana said...

I've never thought of having my current students make a brochure for next year's class. That's a fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing!

Dana
http://3rdgradegridiron.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Kelley, Your blog is amazing and I have gleaned so many ideas already. I am tucking them away right now to use for next year. Keep them coming. I cannot wait until summer when I can start working on my packets, letters, etc...

Mechele said...

Thank you for sharing! This is great! I plan to use this in August.
Barrow's Hodgepodge

Mrs. Scoma said...

Super cute! I am getting lots of inspiration from you for my school's sports theme next year :-)

~Laura
www.firstgradeFUNdamentals.blogspot.com

Amanda K. said...

Next week, I am having my kids write a letter, kind of similar to your brochure, to whoever will have their desk next year. When they finish writing it, they get to tape it to the underside of the desk. On the first day next school year, the new students will reach under and read the letter someone wrote for them!

Oh---question. When you add a google doc to your post, how do you get it to show as a pic for preview like that?

Amanda
Third Grade Experience

Ashleigh said...

I love all of your ideas. Everything looks great! We're also writing letters like Amanda. We're also in the process of filming short video clips where my students give advice about 3rd grade to the current 2nd graders, and then I'm going to post the videos on my blog for the 2nd graders to watch.

Kristin Young said...

I LOVE the flyer for your kids to fill out to give to your class next year. My kindergarteners come in knowing...well, basically nothing!...but this would be a GREAT thing for us to do at the end of the year. This year's kids would see how much they've learned and it'll help next year's kids {and parents!} to see how much they will grow. Thanks for sharing! :)

Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

Timberly said...

Hello,
I love your blog site. There are many items that i would love to printout but when i try it is all blurry because they are pictures. Can someone please tell me how to print these items out as documents so i dont have to keep recreating everything. Thank you very much

Mrs. Randall said...

Hi Timberly,
You need to open up the google doc by clicking on the full scree button in the corner of the document bar. Good luck.

Kelley

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.